Coupler Hubs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

window

Reaction score
I need to replace the rubber spider between the coupler hubs on my splitter. It's usually no big deal but I noticed small metal shavings and figure since it's apart, I'd replace the hubs, too. The one on the engine is "welded" to the shaft with rust and I can't turn the set screws on the pump side - they're rusted in, too. I PB Blastered everything to no avail. Any thoughts? Hydraulic press? Torch? Bigger hammer?

Thanks.

Give the penetrating oil a little more time. If there isn't anything nearby to melt/destroy, heat has helped me out of several frozen situations

I'm in no hurry. I figure that other than the time to put it together and take apart again, I can spin the hub off the engine by starting it with the set screws loose. The frozen set screw I can maybe drill out if heat and penetrant won't do.

Thanks.

I have found Kroil to be a superior penetration oil for frozen threads or joints. It sounds like you are using a Love Joy style of coupling. If so do not install it with the rubber sandwiched tight between the 2 other components. There should be a gap of maybe 1/8 inch in that sandwich. It has been a long time and it is best to read the directions. That might explain the metal shavings and a tight fit will shorten the life of the coupling.

50/50mix of acetone and atf is the old standby for penetrating lubricant. Course flame wrenches are quite useful to earm up and then apply lube

Back