crabapple problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushman

Reaction score
I bought my wife a small Prairefire Crabapple last May. It was about 5 feet tall with few leaves. A few weeks after planting all the leaves died and fell off, then they came back and then they died again. Now the leaves are coming back but only from ground level to about 1 foot up the tree. From that point up, the tree is completely dead. What do I do? Do I just let it keep growing or do I cut the tree from the point where it's dead? Please help! Thanks
Tom

You could do that, but since it is a young tree, I would probably replace it. There may have been problems with that tree or with the planting. There are many possibilities. I would spend some time researching tree selection and planting guidelines before the next go-round.

Apple scab is a common problem - particularly if you received a lot of rain in the spring and di not have the tree sprayed properly. Symptom is early loss of leaves each season (as early as mid summer). The fact the tree did not sprout new leaves may indicate it ws in poor health to begin with or simply just didn't get over the shock of transplant.

Latest posts

Back