Crack in the crank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tilenick

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have been working on a Stihl ms 360 that I got from my brother's landscaping company. It had a nasty piston and cylinderView attachment 204475View attachment 204476View attachment 204477 so I ordered one on ebay and put it on, along with some other items and then I installed it and ran it a little to break it in. It seemed to have a hard time coming up off of idle, so I took it apart again to check the squish (looks like 20 thou) and make sure I had everything together right and saw a crack in the crankshaft.View attachment 204474 It looks like they heated up the connecting rod bearings and the rod too judging by the blue discoloration. I believe that it was there when I got the saw and I overlooked it I suppose that I will have to take it out and replace it too. And the bearings and seals. I had so hoped that it would be a good saw after the P/C but that is the way it goes sometimes. Does anyone know somewhere I can get a crank for it? I looked on some of the sponsors websites and didnt see anything.

None of your attachments work, BTW... But I probably don't need to see them anyhow, 'cause you're description is pretty good. It sounds like they over-revved your saw and burned up the big end connecting rod bearing. You'll need to split the cases and replace the crank and while your at it, the crank bearings and seals probably need replacing too, that way you'll have a completely rebuilt saw.
Here's a link to a complete crank rebuild kit it includes bearings and seals too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crankshaft-Crank-Fits-STIHL-036-MS-360-MS360-Chainsaw-/270760423895?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0a9431d7

I dont know why the first attachment dosent work but the other two seem to. I looked at the part you suggested skippy and think Ill have to get that one. It was so cheap it was a hard saw to pass up.I have an MS361 that I bought new in 03 or 04 and it is a real runner. I thought I could get it going cheap but, I think it will be worth it to fix it right.
Thanks,
Nick.

I was thinking along the lines of the aftermarket kit that is also on ebay skippyktm had a link posted up in the thread it is alot cheaper and I would like to learn how to split the case and put it together again.

i can understand wanting to get into it yourself:msp_smile: just be aware: it will get a bit expensive. the 'aftermarket' cranks are still a bit hit and miss with the quality, and don't even bother using aftermarket seals and bearings. there junk.

I will have to think about it a bit, my 361 runs real well and I wanted to have two dependable 60cc saws. If it is as you saw then its probably not a good idea to replace the parts with junk. but I wonder how they got all those oem parts so low that they can sell it so low.thanks for the input,
also, what failures have you heard of or seen with the AM parts just so I can try to figure the right thing on this. Thanks,
Nick.

I will have to think about it a bit, my 361 runs real well and I wanted to have two dependable 60cc saws. If it is as you saw then its probably not a good idea to replace the parts with junk. but I wonder how they got all those oem parts so low that they can sell it so low.thanks for the input,
also, what failures have you heard of or seen with the AM parts just so I can try to figure the right thing on this. Thanks,
Nick.

i've only seen 2 (both 036's) with a.m. cranks. one with the same damage as yours. without the blue:). and the other the pto side broke at the end of the threads for the clutch. both were installed by me. i ended up giving a refund on the parts and labour and redid the job for almost free, save for the price of the crank. and a 24 of beer:msp_biggrin:
the one that looked like yours was rubbing on the pto side of the case pretty good. you might want to check that.

used crankcase

I saw some moderately priced crankcases on ebay. they are not all as expensive as a newly refurbished one. Iwondered if a 036 will fit on an MS360. I think it will but cant find an IPL for it.

It was rubbing the side of the case but not too bad just some paint scraped off i am looking into complete replacement cases on ebay and just wanted to make sure an 036 will work in the 360 i may have to go to a used one in any case but I will not be looking at AM cranks. The down side was that I had already bought an AM piston and cylinder for it so I am into it for that much. I will use that and if it goes I will to to an OEM set. have you seen much go wrong with AM P/C? Thanks,
Nick.

Back