Craftsman chainsaw help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with a problem Im having with a craftsman chainsaw. I cant tell you the model or anything of that nature because all the stickers lettering etc are gone, this is an older saw. My problem is when an older gentleman that lives down the road from me asked if I could take a look at it for him, The carb was full of trash It is a Walbro carb by the way. So I took it a part and rn it through ny cleaner and installed new kit. Put it back together primed it it started and almost immediatly died. Upon inspection found that it was getting way to much fuel fouled the plug. I got to looking a it looks like it is putting preasure in the gas tank and just blowing way to much fuel to it. The gas tank is built into the rear handle of this saw. The best I can tell is the vent for the tank is in the fuel cap. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Yeah, if it has a primer/purge circuit, it returns the excess fuel to the tank and may build up some pressure. The tank vent is there to prevent a vacuum.

You need to pull the carb again and go through it thoroughly, not just pop in a kit. Can you put up a pic, or at least give us the numbers off of the carb????

Fish, It is a Walbro WT310 carb. It only has one line coming from the fuel tank and it goes to the carb inlet, If that haelp you at all also I was looking on ebay to try to decipher what it is and I believe it is a 3.2 cube saw with an 18 inch bar

Can anyone help me with a problem Im having with a craftsman chainsaw. I cant tell you the model or anything of that nature because all the stickers lettering etc are gone, this is an older saw. My problem is when an older gentleman that lives down the road from me asked if I could take a look at it for him, The carb was full of trash It is a Walbro carb by the way. So I took it a part and rn it through ny cleaner and installed new kit. Put it back together primed it it started and almost immediatly died. Upon inspection found that it was getting way to much fuel fouled the plug. I got to looking a it looks like it is putting preasure in the gas tank and just blowing way to much fuel to it. The gas tank is built into the rear handle of this saw. The best I can tell is the vent for the tank is in the fuel cap. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Can you post a pic of the saw? The saw is likley a Poulan but we won't know unless we can see a picture.

Pressure in the fuel tank is normal . There is a one way valve that will allow air into the tank but not out. It should have no affect on fuel delivery volume.
When you started the saw did you immediately take the choke off? If not, this will cause a enough flooding to choke the saw off.
If you are getting too much fuel it may be possible that the metering lever that lifts the needle valve is set too high. Did you check that? It should be level with the carb body if it's a Walbro.
Tim

Can you post a pic of the saw? The saw is likley a Poulan but we won't know unless we can see a picture.

Pressure in the fuel tank is normal . There is a one way valve that will allow air into the tank but not out. It should have no affect on fuel delivery volume.
When you started the saw did you immediately take the choke off? If not, this will cause a enough flooding to choke the saw off.
If you are getting too much fuel it may be possible that the metering lever that lifts the needle valve is set too high. Did you check that? It should be level with the carb body if it's a Walbro.
Tim

When I started the saw after overhauling the carb I dripped a little fuel in the carb to start it since it was dry it started and ran for a few seconds and then died I of course tried to start it agian and after prolly 10 -15 pulls I had fuel coming out the exhaust. So I pulled the spark plug and cranked and noticed that I kept getting massive amounts of fuel. I unscrewed fuel cap and had alot of pres enough that it hissed when I unscrewed cap. I am getting ready to go to work right now but I will get some pics on when I get home later. Thanks

Latest posts

Back