craftsman/roper (917.353770)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[video=youtube_share;rQ44A52crxM]http://youtu.be/rQ44A52crxM[/video]

This is the stock saw, no modifications.
Much thanks to my youngest son for the video from his phone. More thanks to my oldest son (computer genius) for showing me how to load a video. Man, it took almost 2 hours to load it.

Last edited:
The modified saw I got from machinesttx. The unmodified is my first chainsaw I have had for 30+ years. My father in law bought it for me from a Sears outlet store in Kansas City. It was a refurbished unit and has always smoked like that, never really thought much about it then, but the only thing I new about saws back in the day was if you squeezed the trigger it ran fast. If you let go of the trigger it would idle. :dizzy:

The modified saw I got from machinesttx. The unmodified is my first chainsaw I have had for 30+ years. My father in law bought it for me from a Sears outlet store in Kansas City. It was a refurbished unit and has always smoked like that, never really thought much about it then, but the only thing I new about saws back in the day was if you squeezed the trigger it ran fast. If you let go of the trigger it would idle. :dizzy:

What ratio mix you using on your stock saw. Mine is stock and it doesn't smoke like that. Wondering if your mix could be heavy with the oil

What ratio mix you using on your stock saw. Mine is stock and it doesn't smoke like that. Wondering if your mix could be heavy with the oil

Premium fuel, no ethanol, 32:1 Lucas semi-synthetic. I suspicion it's pulling bar oil, but my smeller doesn't work very good. I run the same mix in all my saws and they don't smoke. I believe original spec is 16:1 for the Craftsmen.

I figured so. I'm guessing it was the one without the handguard?

I modified the one with the hand guard, the one without the hand guard is torn down right now for cleaning and the engine assembly will be put into one that has better paint but a scored c/p. When I get it done I will have 4 runners.:rock:

My first "big" saw powerhead. I got it from a fellow in Indiana.

attachment.php

I put rings in it. (It didn't really need 'em.)

I modified the one with the hand guard, the one without the hand guard is torn down right now for cleaning and the engine assembly will be put into one that has better paint but a scored c/p. When I get it done I will have 4 runners.:rock:

The one with the handguard, IIRC, had terrible paint, but was better mechanically? I figured you'd start with the one that ran, although swapping the carb sort of makes that moot anyway. :rock:

craftman (roper) 3.7

I am totally excited, I spoke to one of my friends tonight and he is giving me a really nice red Craftsman/roper 3.7, right now it will not start because the carb is gummed up, other than that all it needs is a rubber anti vibe mount on the handle bar. He is also giving me another homelite super xl thats in fair shape :rock::hmm3grin2orange:

If you can't find a new one online somewhere, I might have a used one. There are 3, which one?

sounds good thank you! I picked up the saws today and the 3.7 is in really good looking shape and has great compression, this will become my backup saw to my other poulan/craftsman 3.7

I got the saw running this evening, I ended up having to flush and drain the honey like goo out of the fuel tank, replace the fuel line, and clean the carb

Overall dependable and surprising saws. Gets the job done without much flash. Mine seem to be somewhat thirsty though. Could be the tank may be smaller but don't know.
Btw pix or it didn't happen

Back