Craigslist firewood ripoff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeslayer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Some jackwagon has sent me a couple emails to my CL ad for firewood.
this one is priceless.
"Greetings,
I & members of my family are planning on celebrating our xmas and new year on the island in Newport, RI. We are going for a big family reunion and we noticed that we have less firewood for the days we will be spending over on the island because of the cold weather. . I'm seriously interested in buying, Which means buying the firewood is very impaortant for us..

I would have loved to come with my lorry and container for the pick up of the firewood and pay (cash) as a person from your location but time has'nt permit us because we booked the next day flight down to Rhode Island. We have however made arrangements with a carrier who would come for the pickup of the firewood over at any location of yours after payments have been duly made. I would love you to do the delivery via a carrier company service but that will cost alot of funds for us in shipping them down through the courier carrier service. Shipment and handling will be taking care of very carefully with an affordable container.

To get this clear to you, Payment of the fire wood and container will be made out to you before the carrier come over to pick up the firewood from your location. I'm new to buying on craiglist and I hope you can be trusted to make available of the firewood after payment has been made out to you . I work with the United State Postal Services and we will be glad to pay with an original United state certified Postal Money Order. I'll appreciate it if you consider it sold to us via this means. You can trust us via this means of payment and it's 100% legitimate.

After payment clears and cash your bank. Carrier will show up at your location in picking up the firewoods. Excess funds for the shipment and handling will be included on the payment and sent to carrier for his services. I'll email his contact to you as soon as you received the payment via FedEx/UPS. How should your name appear on the Money order and your full home address where it should be mail to? With your valid phone number.

NOTE: I will appreciate if you prepare the price estimate of 1ton firewood you have for sale and price of a container for the delivery.
: Sending more picture will be awesome"

i have run into very similar deals like that,,, i had 2 metal storage buildings for sale and a guy said basically the same thing and if i remember right he was going to ship them to alabama

Not that I have perfect speeling or grammar but the broken English and clear translation from some other language would set off some red flags here.
:notrolls2: Gotta give em an "A" for effort tho!

Last edited:
I doubt it is a scam go for it and if it is a scam, hunt him down like an animal.:hmm3grin2orange:

The writing looks like it's written similar to the way those Nigerian scams are.

Yeah. You get those too? Couple years ago I won a two week cruise to somewhere, all I had to pay was...I can't remember now.

Makes you wonder if people are really that dumb.

If he'd asked for your SS number, I'd have been suspicious....

Looks like a completely legit proposition to me.

Move'm, Move'm, Move'm,
Keep them doggies movin,
Load'em up, head'em out, cutt'n in, cutt'n out,

Rawhide, HeeeYah

:laugh:

why would someone go through that much work to buy firewood?

He/they just want personal info plus bank info. Prolly tell ya next that the money order was made out for to much by mistake and ask you to send em a couple hundo in change. Then make off with the cash, steal your ID and sell the wood to some one else...lol :blob2:

I have 10 bucks that says it's a scam.
Not that you would but respond with:
A carries will cost too much...I can save you some money. Just give me the address and I'll deliver for 50 cents a mile and I'll just pick up the cash when I make the delivery. Hope to see you soon.

Last edited:
The second from last paragraph sounded like the scammer was going to include his delivery driver's payment in the money order. You deposit the M.O. and give the "delivery driver" firewood and cash only to find out later that the M.O. was bogus and you're out both.

After payment clears and cash your bank. Carrier will show up at your location in picking up the firewoods. Excess funds for the shipment and handling will be included on the payment and sent to carrier for his services. I'll email his contact to you as soon as you received the payment via FedEx/UPS. How should your name appear on the Money order and your full home address where it should be mail to? With your valid phone number.

[/I][/B]

This is the scam part. The bank will cash the check and it will clear, only the bank will find out about 2 months later that the check was bogus. Meanwhile your're thinking that the check cleared it must be good. So you take your $$$ out and send him the remainder. However, when the bank comes calling, you will have to fork over all the money and you will be out.
One time I asked the local banker what would happen if I just would deposit the money in a interest bearing account and he said the bank would seize the interest along with the money in the account.
Plus he is asking for your full address. After giving the address and phone to them you just might get visited after they call you and find out you are not home. This part of the scam is used a lot by thieves to scope out your place and to find out if they should come back to help themselves to your goodies.
Not everyone on CL are up and coming citizens! ;)

The second from last paragraph sounded like the scammer was going to include his delivery driver's payment in the money order. You deposit the M.O. and give the "delivery driver" firewood and cash only to find out later that the M.O. was bogus and you're out both.

Seems like that would be an easy way to get caught if it was a scam, because you could possibly have the laws waiting for them when they show up. Seems more likely it's just a phishing attempt at personal/bank info. Or as Suz says, fake check.

Last edited:
Back