Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah, CL seems to have erroded to the point of people wanting trees removed for free, and brush hauled away for free
Doesn't cost anything to post the free wood ads - maybe they work? Maybe they reduce the amunt that they have to haul? I got rid of a couple of yards of stump chips by putting a 'FREE' sign on them in my alley.

Partial list of items for sale and services the advertisement of which is not permitted on craigslist:

Weapons and related items, including but not limited to firearms, disguised, undetectable or switchblade knives, martial arts weapons, scopes, silencers, ammunition, ammunition magazines, BB guns, tear gas or stun guns.

Good that they monitor this stuff.

Philbert

Last edited:
I knew one of you guys would be interested in this, heckfire, the individual is willing to give ya 50 bucks....

http://york.craigslist.org/mat/1071310619.html

free fire wood and 50 buck
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-03-12, 2:46AM EDT

I need a tree cut down, its close to my house, another large tree, and power lines so it needs to come down in pieces. I've tried to give it away in the past with no luck due to the location of it, so this time I'm willing to throw in $50. If you dont want the wood I'll still pay $50 to have it cut down. Also please come and look at it before calling, I always get loads of voice mails and when I call back no one comes to cut it down. The tree is in my side yard at 3151 Claremont rd Dover Pa 17315, you can Mapquest it for directions. Its easy to spot, its the one with half the branches cut off. If you have looked at it and are sure you want to cut it down call me at 717 793 1444, ask for Mike. Im not sure what kind of tree it is, but its a hard wood with no rot, should be great for indoor burning, Thanks

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1071310619

Call the guy, ask what his work schedule is. Then insist that he be there during that time to watch cause it is close to the house... Then don't show up. Tell him a paying customer called you and your busy making money, do you want to reschedule:popcorn:

Tree wood, u cut, u haul (NE)
Date: 2009-03-02, 9:41PM PST

I have a medium sized tree that needs to be taken down to the ground: not a 1' or 2' or 3' stump...all the way down (I don't know what kind it is). I have a couple of other tall but skinny trees (white birch). Then I have a large willow that still has several limbs hanging from that nasty storm we had before Christmas, I think they will come right down by rope.The ones that were on the ground after the storm is already cut up and on the ground. You can have all the wood.

Now, of course, there's the catch. You must load up all the debris first. Why? I did this one other time. They loaded the wood and was coming back for the debris. You got it....they left me the debris. I just do not want that to happen again. I'm sorry to sound so rough. If you are interested, please let me know when would be a good time for you.

Tree wood, u cut, u haul (NE)
Date: 2009-03-02, 9:41PM PST

I have a medium sized tree that needs to be taken down to the ground: not a 1' or 2' or 3' stump...all the way down (I don't know what kind it is). I have a couple of other tall but skinny trees (white birch). Then I have a large willow that still has several limbs hanging from that nasty storm we had before Christmas, I think they will come right down by rope.The ones that were on the ground after the storm is already cut up and on the ground. You can have all the wood.

Now, of course, there's the catch. You must load up all the debris first. Why? I did this one other time. They loaded the wood and was coming back for the debris. You got it....they left me the debris. I just do not want that to happen again. I'm sorry to sound so rough. If you are interested, please let me know when would be a good time for you.

this one should be titled " free stump grinding practice " :dizzy:

Hey Mr. Avalancher.....

Your story that started out this crazy thread.....
Whatever happened to that clown that thundered at you if you had any idea who he was and what he could do to you. Never really got any closure to your original story.
Of course I enjoy reading goofy Craigslist ads here, but your original story was spellbinding! How does the final chapter read?

What a deal

http://madison.craigslist.org/zip/1070449289.html

We have 3 very large Maple trees in our yard that we would like cut down by June . You cut down and in exchange you get to keep all the wood.
Must be insured. We have 2 large trees in the backyard and 1 in the front yard. The 2 in the backyard are fairly close to the house.

We are cutting down a hickory tree - 60' tall, very straight tree, small amount of branches - 1st branch at least 30 feet up. Roughly 16" in diameter. Best offer. Call . Starting bid is $200 - it's worth this much in firewood. You take all of it.

"High performance Craftsman chainsaw" (thats just an oxymoron to start with:buttkick:)

http://wichita.craigslist.org/tls/1072816499.html
A bunch of winners tonight!
http://wichita.craigslist.org/tls/1072817855.html

Hey, is that a 60cc Roper?
Craftsman High Performance Chainsaw - $150
Date: 2009-03-13, 3:38AM CDT
Craftsman High Performance Chainsaw, Automatic oiler, 18" bar, Bolt Action Power Sharp, 3.7ps

attachment.php

attachment.php

Poulan Chainsaw - $150
Date: 2009-03-13, 3:38AM CDT
Poulan Woodsman-1800 1.8 C.I., 14" bar, runs real good,
attachment.php

Chainsaw - McCullough - $200 (King City)
Date: 2009-03-12, 2:19PM EDT

McCullough Mac 140 Chainsaw - good running order

Last edited:
why be burdened and buy a new modern unit of the same manufacturer for a 100bucks when you can own a well used piece of histroy for 150!

Last edited:
Free Fire Wood You Cut (Hampton, TN)

Free Fire Wood You Cut (Hampton, TN)

Need small trees cut in exchange for you keeping the wood, also you must stack brush in nearby location. Serious inquiries only. Must sign liability waver. Phone 423-747-8755.

Free Fire Wood You Cut (Hampton, TN). Need small trees cut in exchange for you keeping the wood, also you must stack brush in nearby location. Serious inquiries only. Must sign liability waver. Phone 423-747-8755.

And you are POSTING the number?!? Aren't you afraid some of us out of state guys might jump down there and beat you to it?

(Welcome to A.S.!)

Philbert

I thought about going and look at it, but I don't like stacking brush and who knows how far away he wants it stacked? Sides that sounds like to picky of guy for me! So you all are welcome to it. If you do go and there is more wood than you use give me a call. :poke:

This topic has made me almost sick, and to boot I am so mad I would pummel anyone that came in the door right now and gave me a hard time.
As I mentioned in my previous posts on this topic, i took a second craigs list tree. Here is my first email from the guy before I came over there.

"yes, that's fine. while you're here, if u wouldn't mind cutting down some dogwoods & some off my magnolia & mulberry trees in the back that u can easily reach from the ground, i'd like u to do that, too. u can have any & all of the wood that u cut from those, too.
i also have some limbs hanging over my house from some kinda tree,i need you to climb up there and trim them back.my neighbor wants her litle trees trimmed in her yard next door, i told her that u wood do it for me.or i'll borrow your utility chainsaw & cut it up myself if u can just get it on the ground for me. thanks!
and my freind says that u can grind the stumps down to the ground with your chainsaw,just use a old chain and wash your saw with a garden hose real good to get the dirt out.is that okay?"

This is the message that I posted when i got back

Well, I'm back with the first load of wood off of this site, and it was a doozy.
It ended up being a white oak, a little bigger than a "medium sized".
After looking at it, it was apparent that the thing could get dropped without hitting the house,IF it went where I WANT it to go.
Basically I told the guy he had two choices. Call a pro and have them drop the tree, I would clean up after the tree is down, or pay me to climb it, cut the top off, and break it down from there, but he had to sign a waiver releasing me of any liability.He was hesitant at first, and i dont blame him, but he decided to let me do it anyway. The only thing he asked is before I dropped the main stem he reserved the right to call off the job if he thought I didnt know what i was doing.Agreed.
Climbed the tree and took off all the weight on the house side and took the top off, he looked pleased.
Long story short, the tree is on the ground. While I was limbing he helped himself to my little Echo sitting in the back of the truck and did the limbing and the dogwoods he had in the back. I had figured to say NOT NO, BUT HECK NO, if he asked to use my saw, but since it never came up I didnt even mention it. Needless to say, he tore up the chain when it got loose and jumped the bar and tore out 6 drive teeth.
After a thorough butt chewing that even got the attention of his wife in the house, we came to an agreement. he would pay me for the chain and I would beat him senseless if I caught his hands on anything that belonged to me

Then I got this email from him today after I went over there yesterday to take another load. I banged on his door, but he never came out so i cut a load and left. i was going to give him the bill for the damages that he did to my saw.

ed, i was here working, as i have an office in my home, & meant to get
out to see you, but you were gone before i got out there. sorry, i was
busy on the phone most of the time you were here.

ok, i'll pay you in cash for what i broke. will you cut up the mulberry
for me & haul the brush from it & from the pine that is already on the
ground up to the road for me when you come next week, & then come back &
finish cutting off the pine sometime soon when you can bring a spotter? i know you said that it is not a good idea to use spikes to climb a tree that is not going to be cut down, but maybe you can just jump from the roof on to the tree?
i'm concerned that those limbs will fall & mess up my fence even more.
what day will you be here next week?
by the way, it sure is nice having a yard boy around here, the neighbors want you to work at their place for free to
thanks, mark

Please, someone remind me of this the next time I mention taking a craigslist tree again.

This fella would wake up one morning to a YARD FULL of brush, clippings and whatever else I could come up with. If it's all natural, it can't be called littering. He would definitely regret stiffing me or ever touching my saw...

Latest posts

Back