Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, you musta read this thread from the very beginning.
Just when I thought I thought I was done with the yard boy comments......:cry:

Okay, here is an idea. I wil cut down and remove your tree for free if you sign a waiver of responsibility for any damage. I mean hey, I am a professional working for free so why should I be responsble if something goes south? I don't need money or anything just loooovvve cutting trees and hauling brush and carrying firewood which is worth its weight in gold! It is a wonder I don't have to post a guard around my trees to keep them from being stolen!

it looks like somebody has been spending a lot of time on the beg for rep thread?

I prefer to think of it as me finally receiving the recognition long deserved and attaining my natural place in the universe, but if you choose to assume otherwise . . .

But I do agree with you post, even if it was intended to be snarky. Around here, we would call it a 'Good Samaritan clause' ; if I'm helping you out, you agree not to sue me.

Philbert

Wonders Never Cease

I have reviewed many of the posts in this thread -- and yes this is laughable. You can make the money from an 80 foot cottonwood that you need to cut and rope down. Umm -- climbing and roping a tree down is for professionals. Most of us cruising CL for free firewood worthy trees are not tree professionals. When I think of firewood cottonwood is not a species tops on my list. Oh well -- I guess I will have to keep looking.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/zip/1091496028.html

I wonder if the person cutting the wood has to take the fence to the landfill too? :dizzy: You do get half the wood though.

Free Firewood

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-03-15, 9:46AM CDT

Wanted someone to cut down about ten dead elms in a fenceline for tearing out about 200' of fencing and hauling it to the landfill. I have a splitter and will split the wood 50/50

Thanks

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1075828726

http://appleton.craigslist.org/zip/1097520227.html

Free Firewood!
30+ foot Pine tree must come down

If you want the wood you must take the tree down completely!
Removal of all debris, logs and branches is your responsibility.
Owner will not be responsible for injury or damage to property (you break it, you pay for it)
Tree cannot be "dropped" it must be taken down in sections.

If you want the wood, you must sign a consent form stating the above.
If you have no experience taking down a tree, please don't inquire.

Here's a great deal. Not even a full pickup truck load, considering he has that toolbox in there.

untitled.jpg

From wichita.craigslist.org

Free Wood!! (wichita)
Date: 2009-04-02, 12:51AM CDT

hello i have a lot of free wood just come and take it... if u need a truck or a trailer i could provided for you just pay for the gas, also you would have to bring your chainsaw..
if interested call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx my name is Alex

PostingID: 1103284175

He has a truck and trailer but no saw. Given the economy he might not have either one. At least he will be getting rid of some unwanted wood to lose the truck.

Free Oak Tree

Free 100 year old oak tree for your next project...cabinets, doors etc... MUST BE CUT BY LICENSED & INSURED PROFESSIONAL. 276-494-1507 leave message.

On the "free" section of my local craigslist, somone has a pine tree between 2 houses they dont want cut down "because it is a nice straight living tree", but getting too big for the area, so if you will transplant it, and fill the hole in with dirt, plant grass, you can have the tree for free.

Ha

If you can move the Tree, it is Free for Firewood or something (Mastic Beach, New York)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-04-05, 5:21PM EDT

If you can cut and pick up and move our tree, you can possibly use it as firewood.

Come to my backyard and bring your tools, but we have a ladder.

You have one day (9 am-5 pm), to carry it all out.

The tree is near toward my house.

The thick branch is leaning toward the house.

We don’t pay you anything, you don’t pay us anything.

Please make sure you do not make it land on the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only contact me by email.

PostingID: 1108498438

Here is an exchange between myself and a fella who had a Cherry tree near his house that he wanted cut down for free in exchange for the wood. You need to be bonded and insured though!

Me:Need an address.

Him:Well.I just wanna make sure that you are bonded and insured right? We really are kinda afraid of hitting the house and just wanna make sure you are comfortable in doing this. I have included a pic for you also. Also need to know how much experience you have in dropping trees. I hope you understand. Thanks.

Me:Scott,
Thank you for getting back to me. I have been cutting down, climbing, and rigging trees with and without cranes for almost 8 years now. I have never been bonded, nor do I need it, but carry a 1 mil liability insurance policy which is available upon request. Is it your expectation to have this tree removed at no cost to you apart from the forfeiture of all useable wood? Please let me know your intentions, it is my goal to help you make as informed of a desicion as possible. Thank you-Kevin

Him:Also, what would you charge to drop another tree and cut it up into manageable pieces so we can keep that wood?

Me:Scott, I will have to look at the trees and determine the value of the wood, what you the homeowner want or do not want, and the difficulty in removing the tree(s) safely. I will give you a good example: Two identical Red Maple trees, one in the middle of a backyard that could be easily dropped and took about 3 hours and I charged the gentleman 300. Next door neighbors tree although similiar in size was next to the back of the house with a deck, shed, and flower garden and I had to climb it and piece it down taking about 9 hours and I charged him 700. There are too many variables to give a price to a tree sight unseen but one thing I can tell you clearly is that there will be costs involved in the removal of your trees but I am fair with my prices and can give you a list of references you can call.-Kevin

Him:Thanks for the info. now, the cherry tree will be free if you take all wood, right?

Me:Scott, In all of my years cutting down and removing trees I have never done a single one where the perceived value of the tree was greater than the actual costs involved in removing it. Yes, there are individuals on CL who will cut the trees down for little or no money because they need firewood and typically they are desperate around winter time, will not attempt trees where the risk doesn't cover the benefits, or they will damage things and leave an irate homeowner because they are uninsured and lied to the customer. So now that we have cleared up some of the misconceptions regarding your trees I hope you clearly understand that even if I took all of the wood from every tree on the property you will still be paying me for my time and labor. If wood was money I would be posting a guard on the pile in the driveway! LOL! Once it is cut down it needs split, stacked, and allowed to season or dry out so it can be burned which is a considerable amount of the typical 200/cord cost of seasoned firewood. You can call the phonebook tree services and get free estimates or you can gamble on a CL lumberjack who thinks they can do it. Make sure you make a note of their license plate before they take off! It would be funny if I had not had to remove two trees off of damaged property last year for that reason. I fall between the professional fulltime services and the sometimes dangerous but well intentioned people who need firewood. I build lasting relationships with most of the people I have done work for. I hope you do not feel like I have wasted your time. Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have.-Kevin

Him:Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that someone could have wood for free if they cut down for free. I am unemployed at the moment and don’t have that kind of money. But anyways thanks for the advice and might get a hold of you sometime soon. Thanks.

Who wants to bet that a year from now if I drive by his place that tree will still be standing?

Him:Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that someone could have wood for free if they cut down for free. QUOTE]

makes me wonder how could anyone be so dang ignorant and stupid ,is this dude on crack? does he also think you should cut his grass and in return for your tedious efforts only get the cut yard clippings

Back