Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How millable does that homeowner think that his highly valuable wood will be if it is simply dropped without a crane? I recall reading about guys dropping redwoods, who would spend a day or more just preparing the 'lay' where the trunk would fall. If they did not do this right, the tree would basically shatter on impact. reducing its value exponentially. I realize that a lot of conventionally dropped trees get milled, but he is probably salivating over clear, wide, 5/4 boards that are already seasoned, and expecting the first pick, in addition to a check.

Philbert

I have received letters through the years that try to connive a sawmiller to do stupid stuff or maybe just showing ignorance at its' purest form. My neighbor mill would get a lot of the same letters.
One letter stands out that we both remember well. We each got one.
1) Walnut tree Standing live, big description of the creek (Little ditch) it is leaning over with a poor copy of a pic -- think copy paper from the 1980s' -- Location is eastern Colorado we are in southeast Nebraska 300? miles away. They wanted to Know if sawing on shares, If they could sell outright or if they would be better off letting it grow but they were concerned it may fall due to the Lean over a bank. There were no other trees in the picture not even any buck brush. This was pointed out saying how easy it would be to cut down.
Here is the Kicker .. at the bottom of their letter they casually mentioned it was close to the property line as the center of the creek was part of the legal description. If Log was to be cut the mess would have to be cleaned up, they would not be responsible for surveys cost, If tree was on neighboring property all correspondence was at our discretion, but they were expecting at least Half of the proceeds.
My friend/neighboring sawmill and I always thought we were getting jerked around by a friend but 30 plus years later never a peep or hint from anybody so we figure the LUMBER BARON was Legit. I have the letter somewhere as one of those unique TROPHIES a person sort of collects.
Maybe after 30 plus years I should check and see if that twig has grown any but that can of worms will be left alone.

theres a home owner every other week on CL around here hoping to get a tree removed for free because of how valuable that firewood must be...

although once a guy had a black walnut he was looking to have removed for free. I don't konw much about it but I would think that is one of the rare instances it would actually be worth the hassle for someone to take down to go and mill later, or am I over valuing that wood? it was a fairly easy takedown, and a pretty large tree i would think would yield some good lumber. not a screaming deal but seemed reasonable to me if you were into that kind of thing.

theres a home owner every other week on CL around here hoping to get a tree removed for free because of how valuable that firewood must be...

although once a guy had a black walnut he was looking to have removed for free. I don't konw much about it but I would think that is one of the rare instances it would actually be worth the hassle for someone to take down to go and mill later, or am I over valuing that wood? it was a fairly easy takedown, and a pretty large tree i would think would yield some good lumber. not a screaming deal but seemed reasonable to me if you were into that kind of thing.

only way I would do a tree for free is if it was worth milling, and I could drop it without risk, and take only what I wanted.

1642512241681.png

AWESOME!!! House on one side, fence running through the tree, power lines on all sides, concrete wall right next to it - simple!!

I actually messaged the guy and told him that for his own sake he doesn't want a non-pro doing this tree. Normally I wouldn't bother, but sheesh - somebody's got to tell him.

I could be wrong, or might just be a different regional colloquialism, but I think that looks like choke cherry, not black cherry.

Oh wait, it's black BARK cherry.

Belleville is just down the road from me. He might get $100 for that little tree if he splits and dries it.....
So you get to bid on the opportunity to do his wood disposal for him. Unc, you're a kind Christian gentleman, surely you'll jump at this chance to serve your fellow man.

Back