Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, boy! I finally found out what makes a "commercial" chainsaw! You have to have a bar over 24"! :laugh:

Yeah, I can see why you'd need more than a 24" bar to cut down and buck some 14" trees! :dizzy:

Say, do you think 28" would be enough? :biggrinbounce2:

LMAO, a 24" bar for a 14" log. :laugh:

if you cut your wood, 24 inch lengths ,two ricks is a cord 24x4x8 = 4x4x8

I always thought a rick was a third of a cord? Not a face cord.

A rick is a face cord is a fremble is a pillygawash.

What do those terms have in common? They all mean NOTHING. They all mean anything anybody wants them to mean.

The only correct unit of measure for firewood is a CORD. No "faces". No "full" or "country" or any of that stupid garbage.

A cord is 128 cubic feet of tightly stacked wood in all 50 states and in Canada.

Any other measurement is baloney.

Oh, boy! I finally found out what makes a "commercial" chainsaw! You have to have a bar over 24"! :laugh:

Yeah, I can see why you'd need more than a 24" bar to cut down and buck some 14" trees! :dizzy:

Say, do you think 28" would be enough? :biggrinbounce2:

And his spelling and english is fantastic! Would almost be worth to put a 24" bar on a poulan wild thing and see if he notices.

the way i understand a face cord measurement is this: it is 4x8 in the single stack and then the length is whatever its cut for the given stove, often its only 16-18 inches that means youd need around 3 of those to make a standard cord ,but if its cut in 24 inch lengths it would then be a full a cord .so a 10 face cord delivery could mean your going to potentially get 5 cords or you could end up freezing with only around 3 actual cords .not a good way to measure

Last edited:
the way i understand a face cord measurement is this: it is 4x8 in the single stack and then the length is whatever its cut for the given stove, often its only 16-18 inches that means youd need around 3 of those to make a standard cord ,but if its cut in 24 inch lengths it would then be a full a cord .so a 10 face cord delivery could mean your going to potentially get 5 cords or you could end up freezing with only around 3 actual cords .not a good way to measure

That's why some people get confused, and how others manipulate these terms to intentionally confuse and deceive others. It is why a cord is typically defined in many states' commerce laws as 128 cubic feet (4 feet high X 8 feet long X 4 feet) deep. Other terms, such as 'face cord', 'fireplace cord', 'rick', 'bundle', 'load', 'logger's cord' are often legally undefined, and up to the buyer and seller to work out.

Even with a cord defined at 128 cubic feet, there is still some room for shenanigans, based on how tightly it is stacked, whether the wood is split, green or seasoned or kiln-dried, etc.

If you remember the book or movie "The Secret of Santa Vittoria", the Italian villagers re-stacked all of their wine bottles so that their cellars were full, but they could still hide some from the invading Germans.

Philbert

Last edited:
I've got to the math...it might be a deal at $12k. You're going to burn some gas!

27 cubic feet in a cubic yard (3 X 3 X 3).

$12,000 / 2 = $6,000 per 128 cubic YARD cord (Paul Bunyon size).

$6,000 / 27 = $222.23 per 128 cubic FOOT cord (mortal size).

Not much of a discount for buying 54 cords of firewood!

Philbert

Oh, boy! I finally found out what makes a "commercial" chainsaw! You have to have a bar over 24"!

Quote:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...093543521.html

. Two oak trees 12-14" diameter!
. You bring your commercial chain saw(over 24"), rope, truck and cut it down, devide those trees!
. Call me first before you leaving!

Stillbrooke Road Manassas VA 20112

John (571)435-4780

Yeah, I can see why you'd need more than a 24" bar to cut down and buck some 14" trees!

Say, do you think 28" would be enough?

Mark, from those pictures some of the trees are growing sideways.:D

Maybe he was laying down ( Hurt or Drunk), when he took the pics.;)

Jack

WHY do people do this!?

why do people wait until december 6th, to list an ad on craigslist begging for free firewood?!

http://cnj.craigslist.org/zip/2097552583.html
"in Desperate need of firewood cant afford oil to heat house wood does not need to be cut i can cut please if you can help in any way we have 5 kids and the wood is the only wat to heat the house"

put an ad up during the summer, and i would have dropped off all the nasty ends and crotches to him every couple weeks...im sure others would have too.. but cmon.. december 6th!? and you got 5 kids and cant plan ahead? its snowed 3 times already here...these people are amazing , i feel bad,, but i mean cmon!! if they really cant afford heating oil.. and he says in his ad he has the means to cut the wood, so he must have a saw.. why not cut wood ahead of time with the saw?
i have a small pile of stuff i could get rid of, but last time i answered one of these ads.. the guy never even responded, i offered a guy with a similar ad a piile of end cuts and crotches that i didnt want/need, i said i would even drop them off for him, but i guess it wasnt good enouhg because he never responded!

:dizzy:

Last edited:
So I see the following ad on CL for some saws that are about a 2 hour drive for me:

6 DIFFERENT CHAIN SAWS - $125

very nice runs great 6 different types of chain saws call Mac at xxx xxx xxxx if interested thanks and have a great weeekend!!!!!

So I place a long distance cal to "Mac" and ask him what he has. His response is to ask me what I am looking for.....:bang:

I respond that I am looking for older Macs, Homelites and Poulans. He states he has a Poulan, I ask him the model and he responds "a small one".

Ask him what else he has and he says a Craftsman and some small, medium and large Husqvarnas, but he has taken a deposit on the big one and hopes the guy comes back to buy it. I inquire as to the model numbers and he says he does not know, but I can call back tomorrow.

By then I had heard enough and told him that it would make sense for him to know what he was selling BEFORE placing an ad. Guess this offended him as he hung up.

Makes you wonder how some people survive.

By then I had heard enough and told him that it would make sense for him to know what he was selling BEFORE placing an ad.

I would generally agree with you - it can be very frustrating. But then again, it is the clueless ones who will also offer up the
"cahin saywr, $50"​
and you call to find out what it is and end up with a nice 046 that you offer them $35 for, and they are happy to accept.

http://tricities.craigslist.org/wan/2106836386.html

seasoned fire wood (Elizabethton)
Date: 2010-12-11, 2:03AM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a truck load of items.that I would like to sale/trade as bulk. Includes wooden shelves, watt knots, kitchen items, JR Nova Compound Bow, Bratz Sleeping Bag, Girls Clothes 7-16, Toys, many other items. good for yard sale, thrift store, or flea market. Will take reasonable offer for all. EASY PROFIT call xxxxxxxx to arrange to look over and negotiate. Will consider trading for a couple loads of seasoned firewood. Thanks.

-----------

I'd try the old wheelbarrow load gag, but I think I'd still get ripped off....

And just how do watts get into knots, anyway? No wonder I lose my power so often.

Latest posts

Back