Crane thoughts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinsTreeSvc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
1694783718483.png

DROTT 85RM2 CRANE​

guy selling one local. weigs 11000 lbs. thinking of getting it for loading logs on tree job.

don't wanna get a crane truck. we have 4 trucks and 6 trailers now. Illinois isn't cheap on tags or DOT.

how much is he asking? I would buy a used skidsteer or tractor myself, that machine will get stuck super easily on jobsites and also has to be pretty level to operate whereas a tractor or skidsteer can work on some really nasty terrain and forward logs/brush as well
if its super cheap then go for it, yard cranes are handy to have anyways, anything over 5-6 grand and id spend the extra on a different machine tho personally

View attachment 1112686

DROTT 85RM2 CRANE​

guy selling one local. weigs 11000 lbs. thinking of getting it for loading logs on tree job.

don't wanna get a crane truck. we have 4 trucks and 6 trailers now. Illinois isn't cheap on tags or DOT.
That thing will tip over and sink like crazy.

Although skid loaders are good, get an Avant loader and thank me later.

Here is a video with more info:

https://www.avanttecno.com/us/machi...3IESAzwA5YD9m1u4Xe_4Qv_3P69wQMtRoCLnsQAvD_BwE

No doubt Illinois likes to hammer folks on licenses. Have you ever considered licensing your equipment west of the river?

https://www.avanttecno.com/us/machi...3IESAzwA5YD9m1u4Xe_4Qv_3P69wQMtRoCLnsQAvD_BwE

And your experience running an avant is?

I've ran a mini skid, full size skid, articulated loader (giant, not avant) and a mini excavator, the articulated loaders are only good on level ish lawn and pavement, any side hills or wet ground and it's a bad day

And your experience running an avant is?

I've ran a mini skid, full size skid, articulated loader (giant, not avant) and a mini excavator, the articulated loaders are only good on level ish lawn and pavement, any side hills or wet ground and it's a bad day
I don't have much. But from when I have seen them they seem like amazing machines. If I needed a machine for mowing logs, I would choose the Avant because it won't tear up customers' lawns.

track machines dont tear up lawns either if you know how to run them
ive got hundreds of hours in all sorts of tracked and wheeled machines all doing the same work and I can do less damage with tracks

View attachment 1112686

DROTT 85RM2 CRANE​

Cranes SUCK for loading logs, mechanical grapples are sketchy as frig on a good day, and hooking chokers is a PITA, and without a heel rack lifting logs and positioning them is a nightmare to say nothing of the risk factor.

Cranes are generally slow, often kinda clunky to move, don't like being unlevel, get stuck on wet grass, not to mention that little guy you gots pictured is 11000# so you'll need a CDL and trailer just to haul it to and from each job

Hire a self loading log truck, or buy an excavator with a thumb.

Well, based on your cartoon, I would have to go with the Avant...
Oh but wait, I've run them both in the real world...
Sorry Mets, but those little articulated loaders are worthless in the real world. You haven't run either, so I don't understand how you could have an opinion.

Zin, I guess I should have said it is to cranes what Avants are to loaders, lol
makes total sense
the 30 ton boom truck we run is always too small, no way that little dude with 16ft of boom will do anything worthwhile, add in slings and you cant load a triaxle
even when I borrow a buddies crane and run it myself for working on equipment I have 40ft of boom out normally (all his little one has)
the lift capacity to price ratio on the avant sucks too, mini ex is the same price and lifts 2-3X as much, also higher and same capacity when reaching really far sideways, I can load a triaxle, and lift logs from over a fence that weigh more than the avant does

by definition it is
also if it lifts over 2000 pounds he is supposed to get a NCCCO certified operator to run it
wait wut?
NCCCO never heard of her... (no seriously, I'm not a crane guy, though I own a little one rated at 2700# and my self loader is considered a crane by some it will "supposedly" lift 16000#[i'd **** myself if it actually did] )

Check the osha definition
If you are doing trees only it doesn't matter, osha has a tree removal exemption, but as soon as you are at the yard lifting a set of loader arms off a skidsteer or something then it's an osha issue

Nccco is the certifying body for crane operators and inspectors, basically a crane drivers license in a sense

Your self loader isn't a crane more than likely, does it have a grapple or a hook? Again, osha has definitions of what a crane is

If you are the company owner then it doesn't matter either tho, osha doesn't apply

I'd get a small telehandler, aka zoom boom, that small crane is a pavement lifter.

Check the osha definition
If you are doing trees only it doesn't matter, osha has a tree removal exemption, but as soon as you are at the yard lifting a set of loader arms off a skidsteer or something then it's an osha issue

Nccco is the certifying body for crane operators and inspectors, basically a crane drivers license in a sense

Your self loader isn't a crane more than likely, does it have a grapple or a hook? Again, osha has definitions of what a crane is

If you are the company owner then it doesn't matter either tho, osha doesn't apply
well... the self loather has grapples and a hook... I'd like to add a winch to it for gyppo yarding, but they want a lot of money for them hydraulic winches...
and I can neither confirm nor deny having lifted anything but logs... not to include giant granite counter tops, equipment trailers, disabled dozers, tractors, ecology blocks, (its terrible at lifting ecology blocks, and should be avoided...)

well... the self loather has grapples and a hook... I'd like to add a winch to it for gyppo yarding, but they want a lot of money for them hydraulic winches...
and I can neither confirm nor deny having lifted anything but logs... not to include giant granite counter tops, equipment trailers, disabled dozers, tractors, ecology blocks, (its terrible at lifting ecology blocks, and should be avoided...)
may still not count but not sure
I know they say a concrete pump boom, excavator, telehandler, backhoe and a few others that lift things "arent cranes", I think drywall booms also dont count
for the most part as long as you are picking logs off the ground with a grapple or it doesnt look like you are selling crane services im sure its fine

Latest posts

Back