Crane Wire Cable, can I go bigger than manufacturer recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright guys, working on a small 11 ton crane and it needs a new cable. The crane recommends a 1/2" cable and I have access to a used, but in good shape rotation resistant 9/16" cable that came off a 23 ton crane. Does anyone have experience with putting a larger cable on a crane than manufacturer recommendations? I understand it would fill up the spool faster, but if the pulleys are wide enough and the cable attaches properly, is there any reasons not to use the larger cable?

1/2 to 9/16 will be a slight problem with the first lay on the drum if it's not a smooth drum. There may also be a problem indexing the end into the drum retainer. Boring the retainer is a big no no with insurers, and some may give you crap for oversizing the lifting line.

As to the sheaves, your description sounds like they are worn. Crosby has some very good sheave sizing & lay charts on their site that you can learn from.

Ya, definitely has to fit the drum retainer without modifications. I believe my sheaves are fine, but I'm gonna go over them to make sure they are burr free and the bearings are good.

I can get a new cable locally from Mazzella. They seem like a very respectable crane supply company. But if I can save the $800 or more dollars and slap a used, but in good shape rotation resistant cable, well I'll give it a try.

There is a surplus cable company in Brooklin called McCarr or something close to that who will sell you both new & used cable almost cheaper than you can steal it.

As long as the bearings in the sheaves are good, and the cable lays on bottom without deforming you should be good. Worst case on a used machine you can probably clean the cheeks up with a grinder and get good lay.

Before you put the used cable on coil it into a barrel & soak it with used motor oil. It gets a little sloppy for a while but it gets in the strands and stays there.

Latest posts

Back