Crank bearings for STIHL 056/045???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefarmboy21

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My dad has an old 056 that he hasn't used for years....a few months ago he decided to take it to the shop and get tuned up just for the occasional use. The mechanic said the cylinder looked fine and he actually had it running, but that he was pretty sure it needed a crank bearing and that they were no longer available from STIHL. I've looked and looked and can't find any crank bearings....factory nor aftermarket. Are there any available? Also are they side specific? The used ones I've found all say flywheel side or clutch side and it appears that they also may have some sort of crank seal build into them?? From what I understand it's pretty rare that the bearings have went before the ignition system, so I hate to just let it go. And I really don't want him to "trade it in on a new one" like he says he's gonna do. Mainly because they'll not give him anything for it and they don't make them anymore. Any advice?

Others will chime in soon, but basically the flywheel side is a standard bearing and the clutch side is going to be difficult to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an old thread; but maybe some people are still following it and I found something interesting I wanted to share.

I'm looking at an 056 I might take on as project saw -- I don't yet know the condition of the bearings, but I've been researching whether I can source them if I need to. And I've discovered that clutch-side bearings are all but impossible to find -- a 17mm id, 42mm od, 14.5mm wide bearing, single seal, reportedly.

Here's the interesting part -- apparently unicycles commonly used 42mm bearings that aren't readily available anymore. The solution for a unicycle is a 1mm x 12mm bearing shim that allows you to use astandard 40mm bearings in a housing meant for 42mm bearings. You can order them here: http://www.einradladen.com/Bearing-Shims-40mm-42mm

I think if you paired a shim with a standard (i.e. standard but a little more expensive than some others) 17x40x14.4mm, single-seal bearing(Timken or MRC/SKF make them), you'd have a clutch side solution for an 056 bearing. You probably need to use some Motoseal or the like on the shim to make sure it seals (or red loctite even).

Somebody who knows these saws well, tell me if I'm crazy -- I don't want misinformation circulating to unsuspecting victims, but if this would work it'd be good for people to know about it.

I have two 056 supers. I had to replace the crank bearings. I called around a few years ago and found a dealer who had them. Then more recently I carefully measured them and ordered by their size. I was not concerned with the width just the OD and ID and they did fit. Had to make a spacer, but they fit nice and snug so was relieved about that. One of the seals was not just right so had to rub the outside with some sand paper a few times to get it in. I think I used yamabond to glue it in. The bearings came with a shield which were removed. They both run just fine. However one of them may need a refresh soon. Thanks

I think I'm wrong on the bearing itself -- if using standard bearings a person would need 2 open sides and a separate seal. But the shims should make standard 40mm OD bearings work -- I think. :)

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk

Back