Crankshaft Endplay ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How much crank endplay is acceptable on a Homelite XL, XL2 and XL Super?

All three that I have around .025" shake to 'em. I know they must have roller bearings because ball bearings wouldn't have any felt play.

Are the thrust washers shot?

TIA
Carl.

Same as the Homelite 240 is fine, 10th edition Chain Saw Service Manual for the 240/245 series states using two plastic 0.015" horseshoe cut shims, one between each of the thrust & bearing pair. The Super 2/XLs use the same bearings & seals, but the Super 2/XL section completely left it out...not a very high quality repair manual in my opinion. PITA to pull the shims out & keep everything from moving.

I had a post for the Super 2/XL calculated thermal expansion last year but can't find it in the searches...the calc'd expansion was less than .012" total using 4140 steel & 400°F delta. I just used two cut up report binder covers at 0.008" thickness with great results.

Same as the Homelite 240 is fine, 10th edition Chain Saw Service Manual for the 240/245 series states using two plastic 0.015" horseshoe cut shims, one between each of the thrust & bearing pair. The Super 2/XLs use the same bearings & seals, but the Super 2/XL section completely left it out...not a very high quality repair manual in my opinion. PITA to pull the shims out & keep everything from moving.

I had a post for the Super 2/XL calculated thermal expansion last year but can't find it in the searches...the calc'd expansion was less than .012" total using 4140 steel & 400°F delta. I just used two cut up report binder covers at 0.008" thickness with great results.

Plastic material?

I also have a McCulloch 3516 with 3/16" endplay. Holy smokes!!!! That one is coming down just so I can see WTH has gone wrong.

Latest posts

Back