Created a homeowner monster saw, Thanks guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
Just want to let you know even though you all look at poulan saws as junk. This 2000 year poulan 3750 60cc that had a burned up top end is now my little homeowner monster now with the ideas you guys have on this site. It was my first time messing with one of my 2 saws. Yes both are poulan 2.0 and 3.7 and never had to touch the 2.0 10 year old one yet. But to the good stuff I just went and tried out the new top end in a 40" willow tree that I been meaning to finish up. I put a new ring, polished scored piston on exhaust side, polished out scoring on cylinder on exhaust side. Then honed cylinder and opened up exhaust port then polished the inside of the exhaust port. Muffler mods, took out diffuser and spark arrester, Opened up inside muffler. Carb work, took the limiter caps off and did a carb retune. Wow what a difference. I buried the 22" bar and never let off during the break in of new ring, after warming up. It pulls all the way through with the 22" bar buried now without any bogging. I also went from 40-1 to mixing at 30-1 now also. Better then new ever thought of being. Glad I tried the rebuild now. Was wanting to get a newer saw, but the prices of the 54cc-60cc saws scared me to death. Thanks all for all the great ideas on this site. Not afraid to work on it anymore, just scared of my saw while running now. lol

Im not surprised that the poolan had to be fixed. That being said I need a cheap saw to dig a trench around my house to put out termite treatment. Whaddaya say I give you 20 bucks for it, and we will call it a charitable donation. :p

Poulan

Tm , I've had good luck with my 2 Poulan saws . A 1989 model 2000 and a 1993 PP220 . My former neighbor had the Tim Allen signature 3750 'Bad Boy' saw like yours that the muffler kept falling off of . He ran it without the muffler until it cracked the crankcase . Check your private messages .

Hey bvaught if I had $600-$700 to blow, I would buy the ms440 like you got. But then again I'd get the 460 hehe. I still got less then $200 in this old 60cc saw and probably do the same homeowner cutting you do. But then again, mine is not for show and tell. I just wanted to let these great folks here know that I used their ideas on my saw and what a world of differece it made. But if you ever want a good ditch digger and you want to let me use your real saw just hollar ok, I might even add oil to the mix hehe. Have a good day.

Timbermaster, sounds like you

deserve a lot of credit for digging into that saw & doing the work.

And although you don't see it mentioned here very often, some AS members have done just fine with their Poulans. Wonder if there's ever been a thread for good experiences with Poulans?

Chris J.

scottr all my P.M. show read. I dont see no new ones. What's up? What do you got to hollar about. Thanks for the help and does your dude want to sell his 3750 parts saw?

scottr said:
Tm , the P.M. was a link to the thread 'Prepping for new rings' and the parts saw is not available .
Yeah I read them all including that one. My dang mind just isnt what it used to be for memory. I need to add some more ram or just upgrade it lol. If I have any probs at least now I know what to do. Thanks.

Timbermaster,

You really know where it hurts dont you. Being serious, way to go on the saw, chances are it will serve you well for years to come.

Knot Whole said:
deserve a lot of credit for digging into that saw & doing the work.

And although you don't see it mentioned here very often, some AS members have done just fine with their Poulans. Wonder if there's ever been a thread for good experiences with Poulans?

Chris J.
Here's one. A buddy of mine has cut at least 10 cords of firewood a year for the last ten years with a Poulan Counter-Vibe 3400 without any trouble. Only thing is I think it's really a Dolmar with green paint so I'm not sure if this story counts.
I tried, John......

TM, I've had a Poulan 3300 for over 11 years. Have taken down many trees with and cut up for firewood. Only problem was the pulse line from cylinder deteriorated. I paid 150.00 with two brand new 20" bars. I've put a diaphram on it once and otherwise just keep fresh mix and clean it real good after use. Sharp chain is the key. The government gave me 15 brand new .325 chains for it. I do have a brand new HUSQ385xp. I will say size does matter! But the Poulan owes me nuttin.

Hope this was a good Poulan story.

i own 10 saws with 3 of them being 2500 poulans. i burn 10-12 cords of wood a year.all my saws were given to me for free by people who couldnt get them to run.cheap saws are good for people like me who cant afford stihls and huskys.

Just got done cutting up a old 40" willow on my property, about to more truck loads worth of bonfire wood. I was having so much fun with the new rebuild and power on my saw that I called the farmer across the road to see if I could clear a fallen maple on his field lane. Got me 2 more truck loads of bonfire wood from that. Is it normal on a new top end rebuild for it to seem it gets stronger with every use, the more I cut with it the sronger it seems to run. :p Grinning ear to ear and having fun cutting now.

Timber I agree with the earlier post..you should be congratulated for turning chicken crap into chicken soup! My bet is there are a lot of off brand saws that can be turned into productive and fun saws....I'd like to try a 45cc homelite myself or maybe a 330 Poulan Pro & try to add a little power..whats the risk? Worst case you trash a couple of hundred buck..best case is you end you as YOU have..thumbing your nose at all the conventional stuff.

carsronnie said:
i wouldnt doubt you will see an increase in power as the rings seat in.

Hold it now ! Isn't there only one ring on them things ! :dizzy:

Yep Just 1 ring should have put 2 on the darn things, wonder why they didnt, hmmm cheaper comes to my mind. So what saws are made in the USA. Not a usa name and made overseas? Just right here saws in the U.S.?

Way to go Timbermaster! :cool: Poulans really arent that bad their just not as tolerant of abuse. But you take good care of one and it should be fine. Yep you'll be seeing more power out of it as it loosens up.

Back