Created a homeowner monster saw, Thanks guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timbermaster said:
Yep Just 1 ring should have put 2 on the darn things, wonder why they didnt, hmmm cheaper comes to my mind.

I just paid $470 for my 357xp and it has 1 ring. Hmmm....

While I'm mentioning my 357xp... It started to run like it had bad gas the other day, so I emptied it out and mixed up some fresh. Still ran like crap at low speed. I figured something was in the fuel system, so I gave up running it and sat down and just started moving the carb with my fingers when I noticed the tube from the de-compression valve move. Then I could see the valve had loosened up from the head, and the allen screw that attatches the hose to it also had loosened up!

This was just after I fixed the weak plastic kill switch that broke. So I have had as many problems with my new husky after only about 10 run hours, as my little 42 cc Poulan after some years. I know some guys on this forum make them out to walk on water, and probably :cool: hate me for writing stuff like this but it's just my unbiased observations.

Dan, all Husky's are not created equal.

The word from people I have spoken to is they feel quality has slacked off from past products. I guess all companies go through these stages, some manage to correct them well and stop the boat from drifting and other companies have a great deal more difficulties doing that. Just take a look at some of our North American companies.

Tm

I put a new ring, polished scored piston on exhaust side, polished out scoring on cylinder on exhaust side. Then honed cylinder and opened up exhaust port then polished the inside of the exhaust port

How did you polish and hone your cylinder? How about the exhaust port too? What did you use etc. ? Just curious b/c I've just honed the cylinder (VER LIGHTLY) on a 2.3 Craft. with a spring loaded three stone and drill. Thought I was just getting new rings but the kit included new piston. Couldn't just buy the rings evidently, $28.00 so I am relieved that I got a new piston for that $. I've cleaned the exhaust port but want to polish as you have done. Appreciate the feedback in advance.
Tom

I took the scoring out by hand with 150 then 300 then 600 grit. Then used a small brake cylinder hone like you stated you have to deglaze or hone the cylinder. All work on the scored exhaust piston was by hand with the same grits. The port work was all done with with a dremel and 2 different bits. It might not be right, but it worked for me. How long it will last who knows. I bought just the ring and gaskets I needed from this place outdoors supplies, I will leave the link at end of this. The ring was only $2.34, gasket kit $5.40. They sold the piston and ring kit, but being the cheap (__!__) homeowner dude I am I wanted to see if I could fix it the cheaper way first. Then if I had to go the other route I could later. It all seemed to easy after doing this.

Thanks. I'll try polishing the exhaust port by hand as you did. I've scraped all the crud off already.

I meant to check a hardware store for the parts and just decided to go to Sears. Dont know why I didn't use my head. Same old story I guess. :dizzy:

gumneck said:
Thanks. I'll try polishing the exhaust port by hand as you did. I've scraped all the crud off already.

I used a dremel for the exhaust port work with two bits. One for taking a little bit of metal off and the other was real fine for polishing.

Latest posts

Back