Crepe Myrtles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUDMAN32

Reaction score
I need help---I have a row of crepe myrtles that were 25 or so feet tall and in good shape. Trouble is, they were almost into the power lines so I asked a fellow who does tree care how to prune them. I cut all the libs off right above the "knuckle". Last year they all grew new growth or limbs and bloomed and looked great. I did not prune again and now they dont look as good---some even look dead!! What can I do? Do I prune now or when? I would like them to be about 10' tall as they are beautiful when a reasonable height. Any help appreciated--( I have been to all the pruning websites and they are no help):confused:
Darren

It is a bit late for pruning crepe myrtles now, but you can still do it. You just won't have as much growth or blooms this year. The 'pollarding' of crepe myrtles is kind of the exception to the 'NO Topping' rule. cut back all the tops to the SAME spot every year. This will cauise the tree to grow 'knuckles' where you cut back to every year. The best time to do this is just after last frost. :cool:

Originally posted by treeclimber165
It is a bit late for pruning crepe myrtles now, but you can still do it. You just won't have as much growth or blooms this year. The 'pollarding' of crepe myrtles is kind of the exception to the 'NO Topping' rule. cut back all the tops to the SAME spot every year. This will cauise the tree to grow 'knuckles' where you cut back to every year. The best time to do this is just after last frost. :cool:
POLLARDING? NO TOPPING? They already have knuckles---thats where I cut them to last year---just seem like dead knuckles now on some trees................
ps--how do I enable cookies on this site --I didnt do it when I registered

Last edited:
I was showing off with a term i learned a few years ago. 'Pollarding' is the term for topping a tree every year. I believe it comes from England where urban trees are topped and shaped every year due to limited space. Except in situations where you plan on pollarding every year, topping trees is not an accepted tree maintenance practice.
Darin will have to tell you about cookies. I'm a computer dummy. Maybe he can explain pollarding better than I can also. :dizzy:

Go ahead and remove any limbs that are definitely dead. Then wait until winter to cut them back to the height you want. Crape myrtle is somewhat drought-resistant but the combination of drought and heavy pruning may have killed some of yours.
BTW - I believe pollarding was originally used as a reliable method of growing and harvesting long supple twigs to be used for basket-making, kindling wood and that sort of thing. To do it right requires more work than most are willing to invest.

In the User CP section you can check yes to the question, "Store password in Browser." That will enable you cookies. To the guys in Florida I think you are giving Pudman good advice. You guys probably have more experience on Crepe Myrtles anyway. I still have a hard time topping anything.:eek:

Latest posts

Back