Crimson King problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret

Reaction score
Got SWMBO 2 Crimson King Red Maples for Mom's day. Planted them as instructed, watered well and mulched heavily. One tree is OK, the other has constantly dry leaves. The leaves are stiff, not pliable. I'm watering and the soil is wet, but the tree doesn't seem tpo be getting it. Should I dig up arounf the tree and mix in peat moss with the native soil to hold moisture? It is a clay type soil and a relativly dry area. Will the "Wilt-Pruf" type sprays help the leaves hold their woisture or is that stuff just for cut flowers etc?

Were these B&B trees or container grown?

There may be to much water. Trees can take dry cycles when well established. So a short dry cycle (a day or two) is fine, as long as the tree is not sitting in water (with the top of the soil dry).

You may need to dig a small pit next to your trees to check how you'r draining. Fill the hole with water and see how long it takes to dry out, but remember the sun evaporates some of the water as well. Test in late evening and if you still have water in the morning you have a drainage problem.

MCC had mucho 8-10 inch trees crain planted. Many were dying when I came on board.

The installer blemed us for not installing drainage. I asked if they did a perk test in these compacted clay mounds.

I got a blank stare from the "Horticulturalist".

Perk test before planting an $8k treee? What a novel Idea!

These people were so into installing drainage that they had MCC put french drains in a grove of river birch:confused:

Back