Critique please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Alive

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Only got one picture. Sorry. By the time I came down I was too tired to fool with the camera any more. This was a pecan about 10 feet from the house at the base. I climbed up, dropping limbs vertically as I went, then took it down in two sections. I bought a rope puller and 120ft hank from Bailey's after this one. Everything went according to plan but I never have felt comfortable guiding trunks with a truck. I left the crotches there for rest (and lunch) and cut them off on the way back down. What do you guys think? It's ok to be br00tal. I'm a part time hack. I know. :)

Well did you set out to cut the tree down? If so +1
Did you remove the tree without damaging the house If so +1
Did you remove the tree without injuring yourself or others If so +1

Congrats on a job well done! :clap:

Oh did you learn from your mistakes?

Well did you set out to cut the tree down? If so +1 - CHECK
Did you remove the tree without damaging the house If so +1 - CHECK
Did you remove the tree without injuring yourself or others If so +1 - CHECK

Congrats on a job well done! :clap:

Oh did you learn from your mistakes?
DOUBLE CHECK

thanks

when you say two sections do you mean you topped it then dropped the stick? Looks pretty good though. Once you hang a few limbs on those stubs and have to climb down to get them off then climb back up you willl stop leaving stubs though..... haha .... Mike

when you say two sections do you mean you topped it then dropped the stick? Looks pretty good though. Once you hang a few limbs on those stubs and have to climb down to get them off then climb back up you willl stop leaving stubs though..... haha .... Mike

I actually cut the top two branches just like the rest, let them fall vertical, then cut them loose. Then I notched and dropped the stick in two sections. You are absolutely right about the stubs. I left them there so I would have a comfortable place to rest while lowering and raising things in and out of the tree (refueled saw, ham sandwhich, etc..) But dropping branches on them did pose a problem a couple of times.

cool, good job thanks for posting. One of these days I'll post some of my own work for all to critique. Maybe I'll take some pics this week of a big pine takedown...... Mike

Whats all this about stubs and ham sandwiches? CUT! CUT!!
Cant say I've ever had lunch in a tree - alot of smokes though.
Those stubs will give you quite a ride if you hook em with a nice sized top.
Looks good otherwise though, nice work.

you hack...........lol j/k looks like you were having fun at least. Were you posing for that picture, we are all guilty of posing for that kodak moment I believe?

you hack...........lol j/k looks like you were having fun at least. Were you posing for that picture, we are all guilty of posing for that kodak moment I believe?

TROOF. I was asking the guy on the groung to throw something up to me. He said no way he could throw it that high, so I figured it was too cool for school time.

Back