Critter in oak tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAN2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
While trimming our oak tree I came across a funny looking catepillar: about an inch long, triangular, brown, kind of feathered fur. If this is a good critter, I'll put him back. Should I squash or not?

Sorry, my cheap digital camera doesn't do closeups very well, so the attached picture doesn't show any details.

Lee

PS, yes this is the same oak tree as in my March of this year message and the psocids have moved to higher branches. I am trimming back some branches to make way for the roof of my parent's new house -- hopefully the tree will survive the construction and like the new metal roof reflecting more sunlight on it.

Lee,
Didn't see a photo, why not hop on down to your extension service where they cna take a look up close at it for you.

Picture

Sorry, I guess I lost the attachement when I corrected my post :-(

Hopefully it is attached to this one!

Hi Lee,I dont know if you have the saddle back caterpillar in your area,BUT,If you do beware!They are approx.1" in length, have 4 black 1/8 "stingers-1 on each corner.They are brown with a green saddle on thier back with a round white circle or dot in the center of the saddle.They move very slow ,but if you just brush up against one of these it feels like a bee sting and it can sting with each of the 4 stingers.In my area,I find them eating on leaves. Reference www.georgiapoisoncenter.org/saddleback.html for photo

Last edited:
Back