Cross-eyed from reading Break-in Threads.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Analyst Man

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Didn't want to ask but I'm half blind from reading threads about break in and still don't have a clear answer about saws with auto tune, particularly a 562XP.

Buried in the MAINTENANCE info on Page 29, the owners manual says:
"when the chain saw is started for the first time
The following steps should be taken or when outside circumstances change (fuel, altitude, air filter etc.) Start the engine. Accelerate the engine to full throttle and saw a number of cuts in a thick log (3-5 min.)
The chain saw must be run (8,000 – 12,000rpm) the entire time so that the carburetor can adjust itself."

That seems straight forward, but why they didn't highlight this first in Starting Procedures is anyone's guess.

However online Husqvarna answered:
"Does my chain saw have a "break in period"?
Published 02/23/2010 05:08 PM | Updated 04/04/2014 02:33 PM
"Typically we recommend a break in period of 6-10 tanks of fuel. During this period the engine should not be allowed to run at high RPMs for extended periods of time."

How do you pro's break these things in??? I don't wan't to screw up a brand new saw.

Do what the owners manual suggests.

The online rep may not have known that you were referring to an AT saw.

Personally I like a fuel mix to be a little fat on the oil too for a new saw, < 50:1. I can't provide any proof it helps, but I just feel better about it.
The last couple got XP@32:1
Do what the owners manual suggests.

A little extra lube sounds good on a new engine.

The online rep may not have known that you were referring to an AT saw.

The online answer from Husqvarna was for someone else, but it was the only thing I found from them about breaking in their chainsaws.

I just find it hard to understand why Husqvarna doesn't have the information about starting the saw for the first time in bold print with a warning sign on the same page as the starting procedures.

Out of curiosity I checked my Jonsered manual and it doesn't mention anything about break in either. It's pretty much obsolete on modern saws anyway.

Just run them like you normally would, and don't piss rev. :D

FYI , the two Dolmar manuals I have (105 & PS6400) don't mention any break-in specifics either!
On a new saw I'd go for a tad fatter gas/oil mixture then recommended , and rip it! :chainsaw:

Sure , I would restrain from excessive WOT without load/out of a cut. ;)

I can't comment on AutoTune as I never ran a Husqvarna. o_O

FYI , the two Dolmar manuals I have (105 & PS6400) don't mention any break-in specifics either!
On a new saw I'd go for a tad fatter gas/oil mixture then recommended , and rip it! :chainsaw:

Sure , I would restrain from excessive WOT without load/out of a cut. ;)

I can't comment on AutoTune as I never ran a Husqvarna. o_O
I'm going to do a few cans of 40/1 premix and find myself a big log to rip into. Definitely no WOT without a load.

I normally run 32:1 in all falling saws and landing saws to help the bearings last longer, never had a plug issue on the 555 or 562 we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although my experience is much less than many here, I have had a few new saws over the years and I always did the 40:1 mix for first few tanks thing. Not usually a problem because my Stihl "4 mix" trimmer runs on that and I also use it for the couple old Homelites I have.

All that said, I'm going with 50:1 and running the p*ss out of it in big wood technique for my new 562. We'll see how it turns out

Although my experience is much less than many here, I have had a few new saws over the years and I always did the 40:1 mix for first few tanks thing. Not usually a problem because my Stihl "4 mix" trimmer runs on that and I also use it for the couple old Homelites I have.

All that said, I'm going with 50:1 and running the p*ss out of it in big wood technique for my new 562. We'll see how it turns out
Congratulations on the 562! :clap: Hope to finally use mine tomorrow.

I have 3 auto tunes bought new. I don't even try and process wood on the initial start. Find a real big log and bury the bar and make non stop bucking cuts for 1/2 to 2/3rds of a tank at WOT while in the wood. No WOT out of the wood. You can hear, see and smell the mixture change as it is setting the run parameters. The more load the more fuel it will pour to it.

I have 3 auto tunes bought new. I don't even try and process wood on the initial start. Find a real big log and bury the bar and make non stop bucking cuts for 1/2 to 2/3rds of a tank at WOT while in the wood. No WOT out of the wood. You can hear, see and smell the mixture change as it is setting the run parameters. The more load the more fuel it will pour to it.
Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you sir.

Just be sure not to piss rev it.
One of these days, I'm going to find out exactly what the means.
I know it means WOT with no load, but how they came up with it I'm clueless.

...I know it means WOT with no load, but how they came up with it I'm clueless....

Because the chainsaw starts pissing chain oil all over?! :rolleyes:

My big Dolmar doesn't need much/long WOT out of the cut to start dripping excessive oil carried back to the PH by the chain.
It gets thrown off the chain by the centrifugal force caused by the small diameter of the rim sprocket and then drips out of the PH.
My Dolmar PS6400 throws off more oil at the rim sprocket then it does at the bar tip sprocket! o_O

How many loggers or timber fallers buy a new saw, and have the time\patience to baby a saw for 10 tanks of fuel to break it in properly? Guaranteed as soon as they bring that saw back from the dealer, it's cutting wood full bore like it will it's entire life. And these guys buy\go through alot of new saws.

My two cents, put oil in the gas and run it like a chainsaw should be run.

Because the chainsaw starts pissing chain oil all over?! :rolleyes:

My big Dolmar doesn't need much/long WOT out of the cut to start dripping excessive oil carried back to the PH by the chain.
It gets thrown off the chain by the centrifugal force caused by the small diameter of the rim sprocket and then drips out of the PH.
My Dolmar PS6400 throws off more oil at the rim sprocket then it does at the bar tip sprocket! o_O

Dolmar must have updated the oilers on their big frame saws. he only complaint I have on my 7900 is the stingy oiler

Back