cs440 any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benelli7d

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine just had an almost new 440 given to him. The bar was bent so he got a new bar and chain and he says it starts easy and rips through his pile of firewood. Since I haven't noticed much talk about these saws in my cruising around this sight, I'm guessing it's old and discontinued. But, are they any good? I'd like to hear from those who have, or had one and not so much from those who don't like Echo's or think their stuff is better etc. etc. etc.
Thanks guys

I bought my Echo CS440 brand new in 2007 at a Ace Hardware and I've had good luck with it. It has good power for a 45cc, easy to start and a great oiler. Reliability wise no issues with it and it's a metal case unlike the Stihls or Husky saws that were in it's 45cc price range. If I remember right it was $150.00 cheaper than my Stihl MS 250 new and a better built saw in my opinion of owning them both.

If I compare the 440 to my Stihl MS 250, the only advantage is the Stihl has is that the motor feels snappier, but aside from that the 440 has a much, much better oiler, is easier to start and has a metal/ magnesium case . I also like the CS440 round automotive style air filter. The MS 250 is a good saw, but I like the CS 440 a lot more.

We burn wood for heat and I used for for 3 seasons as the main firewood saw and it cut maybe 80 percent of the wood for 2 houses. It usually ran an 18" bar, but I did put a 20 " bar on to cut up a couple large blow down oaks. It ran the larger 20" bar buried ok, you just had to keep the chain sharp and be patient,.

The saw is sort of an odd duck now, Echo moved on to different models but that being said it's my favorite under 50cc saw that own and I have at least 8 saws in that range that are Husky, Stihl, Poulan and even other Echo's .

Attachments

• 000_0298.jpg
    000_0298.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 0
I have had my CS-4400 for 8 years now I guess. Bought it used of Craigslist as a $100 "used one time" and it looked like it. Dull chain, dirty, old,old fuel in it. I put a 16" b&c on it and cleaned it up. Used on blown down red oak on the property. Trail maintenance, limbing, some bucking. My CS590 is better in bigger logs, but it should be. Surprisingly I use the 4400 most off all my saws. It runs great. I did replace the carb with a Chinese ebay $10 special and have had no issues outside the old carb. I really like my CS352 with a 16" but the 4400 is close in weight and has been my middle ground.
Good saw for me

I have two 4400s, want them?
For sale

They ran okay. They were used when I got them. Carried me for a week or two in tree work doing the smaller stuff. No issues good tools. They need a muffler mod and a good cleaning.

Back