CSM and ripping chain suggestions for small time milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verticaltrx

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a Granberg Small mill (G777) for my MS361 with a 20" bar. I will be milling mostly white pine, 20" max dia. logs, but maybe a few red or white oak logs of similar size. I will only be milling hardwood for a bit here and there to use in my wood shop, so that won't be much.

Now for my questions:

-Clearly the MS361 is a great saw for light felling and bucking duties, but is it big enough to run a small mill in soft wood and limited hard wood?

-Will I benefit from also purchasing a granberg mini-mill, and where would this come in handy vs. a regular csm?

-Suggestions on ripping chain? Is the granberg chain enough better than the ripping chain Bailey's sells to justify the difference in cost? Other brands of chain I should look into?

-Any other suggestions for a first time chain saw miller?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if these topics have been beat to death. I have a very slow modem right now so my searching has been limited. Does anyone have any advice they would wish to give?

Speaking from a UK perspective, the Baileys ripping chain is fine for the price. Over here a 100 ft roll of Granberg costs $900 + tax and delivery. Call it $1100 between friends. A 100 ft roll of Woodsman pro costs $275 from Baileys, and it cost me $100 to ship it.

Woodsman pro cuts fine for me. I've got a few loops of Granberg, and the difference isn't really noticeable in the cut. If pushed, I'd say the Granberg cuts a bit better - but not 4x better.

I don't have a 361, but I would guess it is a bit small. I don't like milling with my 046 unless I am desperate, and the 046 is (I think) a much bigger saw. For small softwood you'd probably be OK. For bigger logs and hardwood, I think you'd kill a 361 - or it would be so slow as to drive you mad.

A mini mill is good if you want to edge a big log that is too hard to roll over (or you can't be bothered) - this is what I use mine for. If you are milling small stuff, then just flip the log through 90 or 180 and use the CSM.

Thanks for the info. Good to know on the Baileys chain, if its comparable I'm all about saving some $$$.

I did a little test today by ripping a 16" dia, 18" long Red oak round just using standard RSC chain. It took less than a minute to rip, so I feel comfortable my saw will work fine for the very limited hardwood milling I will do.

One other question, are the Granberg slabbing brackets worth $30? It looks like a couple of pieces of angle iron with few holes would work just as well, or is there more to them than that?

Last edited:
-Clearly the MS361 is a great saw for light felling and bucking duties, but is it big enough to run a small mill in soft wood and limited hard wood?

-Will I benefit from also purchasing a granberg mini-mill, and where would this come in handy vs. a regular csm?

If that is all you have and you ONLY mill 12-15" dia softwood with an occasional small dia hardwood, your MS361 will mill, but slowly. I've milled with my 365 (same CC class) with limited results. Again, it milled, just slowly.

Don't know much about the mini-mill. If you can afford it, get yourself the 36" granberg as it will dumb down to a smaller bar and if you ever get a larger saw in the future that can handle large bars, you are set.

If you don't want to drop the cash, you can get away with unistrut or even a 2x6 screwed to the log for a guide.

I have found that regular chain will mill as fast or faster than milling chain, but will leave a rougher surface on your boards. I use Baileys milling chain.

verticaltrx, Need to do a search about setting saw to run richer on fuel
when milling. IMO MS361 is set on the lean side from the factory.

The only other option would be the 041AV, but it is quite heavy and slower in the cut than the 361, so I can't see it being much better. The only thing it has going is more torque, not sure if its worth the extra weight though.

I plan on only getting the 20" small mill because this setup will (hopefully) only be temporary. Eventually I will get a small band mill, something along the lines of an LT10 or Lumber lite 24.

The only other option would be the 041AV, but it is quite heavy and slower in the cut than the 361, so I can't see it being much better. The only thing it has going is more torque, not sure if its worth the extra weight though.

I plan on only getting the 20" small mill because this setup will (hopefully) only be temporary. Eventually I will get a small band mill, something along the lines of an LT10 or Lumber lite 24.

I think the 041 would be a better choice when milling, extra weight
is really no big deal when milling. Make sure to check screws don't become
loose every now and then.

I think the 041 would be a better choice when milling, extra weight
is really no big deal when milling. Make sure to check screws don't become
loose every now and then.

+1. I believe that you are referring to the small log mill and not the mini mill. I have used both the larger Granberg and the Small log mill. I really prefer having the bar supported on both ends by the larger mill and it seems to balance a lot better. I have also used both chains and the Baileys chain gets my vote over the Grangerg, Its half the cost and it performs just as well in my opinion. And lastly, the slabbing rail brackets are very handy, but yes if you wanna save some money, angles with holes drilled in them work very well too. Best of luck to ya!:cheers:

One other question, are the Granberg slabbing brackets worth $30? It looks like a couple of pieces of angle iron with few holes would work just as well, or is there more to them than that?

Agree with the others here - I never bought them. I usually use a ladder.

Last edited:
Speaking from a UK perspective, the Baileys ripping chain is fine for the price. Over here a 100 ft roll of Granberg costs $900 + tax and delivery. Call it $1100 between friends. A 100 ft roll of Woodsman pro costs $275 from Baileys, and it cost me $100 to ship it.

Woodsman pro cuts fine for me. I've got a few loops of Granberg, and the difference isn't really noticeable in the cut. If pushed, I'd say the Granberg cuts a bit better - but not 4x better.

I don't have a 361, but I would guess it is a bit small. I don't like milling with my 046 unless I am desperate, and the 046 is (I think) a much bigger saw. For small softwood you'd probably be OK. For bigger logs and hardwood, I think you'd kill a 361 - or it would be so slow as to drive you mad.

A mini mill is good if you want to edge a big log that is too hard to roll over (or you can't be bothered) - this is what I use mine for. If you are milling small stuff, then just flip the log through 90 or 180 and use the CSM.

I thought chain was deer here , no wonder your getting it from Bailey's . cheer's MM

Back