Cub Cadet Commercial cs5018 & cs5220?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipknot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the heck is the difference between the cs 5018 and cs 5220 saws(besides bar length)? My cs 5018 say 51.7 cc on its tag, same as cs5220,both are rated @3.4 hp in advertisement, but the cs5220 is $339.99 and my cs5018 was $259.99(got it for $231). Does it have a magnesium crankcase or something? Why the big difference in price if all the difference is bar and chain length? Anyone know? Also I think cub cadet commercial saws are discontinued, can anyone confirm that?:deadhorse:

??

The 5018 is actually 50cc according to the Cub site, but you are correct that they list both as 3.4hp.

The 5220 is 3.4 hp based upon both the Efco and Emak sites. However, the 50cc saw is not a current model for Efco or Emak so I don't know where to find accurate info on that.

Did anyone figure out what the difference in the saws are? Are they magnesium crankcase or plastic? Also what good would a warranty be if there is no local dealers in your area? Suppose you buy a Husky or some other saw online and have trouble with it, how do they handle warranty work if theres no dealer in your area? Do you ship the saw back to where you bought it to get it repaired?

Anyone out there using these saws, how are they doing?

I noticed some great deals on Cub Cadets on Ebay today. My saw budget is used up for the time being, or I'd get the 5018. I don't know about warranty, and parts for the 5018 might be tough to get. I think Cub Cadet is getting out of the saw business. You shouldn't have any trouble getting parts for the others at any John Deere or Efco dealers.

I've been seeing those saws too and several people here say they're Efco saws and that they're good ones. I had my credit card out tuesday almost bought one but I just don't need it. What I can't understand if these saws are as good as they say they are why aren't people buying them? They're brand new, never used, still with warranty. Then I see people bidding about the same amount for 15 - 20 year old saws that need work. I can't figure it out.

Not many people know what they are! They see cub cadet and think MTD and run like hell! Who was is that said MTD stands for "mow twice and die"
IMO the fact that MTD brought them to market is what killed them. I love mine. I'm still slayin' hardwoods with it! I guess I use it commercially I cut & sell firewood. Why doesn't efco ramp up their US marketing? I have to travel 80 miles to get to an efco dealer,and i live in ohio, thats clear across state..damn it!

There are some smokin deals on ebay right now from somebody selling out their inventory of cadet saws.

I tried to make a deal and buy all that the guy had. He told me he would get an inventory list and price together for me... but never got back in touch.

I've picked up several 5018 for total prices of around $100 each. Can't beat that for a brand new saw of that kind of quality.

How big does the Efco/John Deere/Club Cadet line go? I've got the JD CD-52, and I love it. Sure would be nice to get something bigger at that kind of quality/price ratio...

retoocs555 said:
There are some smokin deals on ebay right now from somebody selling out their inventory of cadet saws.

I tried to make a deal and buy all that the guy had. He told me he would get an inventory list and price together for me... but never got back in touch.

I've picked up several 5018 for total prices of around $100 each. Can't beat that for a brand new saw of that kind of quality.

Are you buying them for personal use or to resell? I wouldn't mind having a spare 5018 or 5220! ?????'n little saws I tell ya! I like it when people ask what model of MAC is that?

Originally Posted by retoocs555

Wow, Great deal!!!

BlueRidgeMark said:
How big does the Efco/John Deere/Club Cadet line go? I've got the JD CD-52, and I love it. Sure would be nice to get something bigger at that kind of quality/price ratio...

I believe Cub Cadet only goes up to the 59 cc saw. The same saws with the Efco or John Deere label will run almost twice as much.

retoocs555-"I've picked up several 5018 for total prices of around $100 each. Can't beat that for a brand new saw of that kind of quality."

If you can pick up another one at that price, and wouldn't mind shipping it to me, send me a PM, but only if it isn't too much trouble.

Pat

pallis said:
I believe Cub Cadet only goes up to the 59 cc saw. The same saws with the Efco or John Deere label will run almost twice as much.

For the price difference, I could live with a different paint job. But with a 52 cc already, I don't need a 59. I need to move farther up the displacement ladder, more like 75 or 85cc.

They make an 80cc, the Efco 980.

The 962 is a real nice saw.

Also in the 40cc class the 940 is a great saw.

BlueRidgeMark said:
For the price difference, I could live with a different paint job. But with a 52 cc already, I don't need a 59. I need to move farther up the displacement ladder, more like 75 or 85cc.

You might consider the CS 62 (962). It's a closed port, pro saw with good power to weight ratio, and a good step up over the CS 52 (952). It's one of those saws I want, but can't justify because of the saws I already have. The reason I want a 5018 is because I have a son who keeps asking me to give him my Olympyk 951, which I won't part with, but he would be happy with the 5018.

Last edited:
I was wrong about the 59cc. I've got Husky on my mind. The Efco, Cub Cadet is the 5720, 956 I think.

slipknot said:
Can someone tell me what the heck is the difference between the cs 5018 and cs 5220 saws(besides bar length)? My cs 5018 say 51.7 cc on its tag, same as cs5220,both are rated @3.4 hp in advertisement, but the cs5220 is $339.99 and my cs5018 was $259.99(got it for $231). Does it have a magnesium crankcase or something? Why the big difference in price if all the difference is bar and chain length? Anyone know? Also I think cub cadet commercial saws are discontinued, can anyone confirm that?:deadhorse:

Despite what the Cub Cadet site says, the only difference between the 5018 and the 5220 is the length of the bars that come on them. They are both 51.7 cc, 3.4 hp saws. The numbering difference was probably a marketing ploy. Why would Emak manufacture two engines that close together in size, with the same hp, and put them in the same case? ...They wouldn't. That's why Oleo-Mac, Efco and John Deere only have the 51.7 cc saw. The reason the 5018 has a sticker saying it is a 51.7 cc saw is because it is. That's also why the instruction manual only points out one difference, the bar size.

I broke down and got one off of Ebay. I'm pleasantly surprised at the overall quality. It is a well built saw. The bar got a little warped in shipping, so I put a 16" ArborPro, narrow kerf bar and chain on it. The altitude here is around six thousand feet, and I had to clip the limiter cap to lean it out enough, but that done, it runs nice. I hope it picks up a little power after break in and a muffler job.

Pat

pallis said:
Despite what the Cub Cadet site says, the only difference between the 5018 and the 5220 is the length of the bars that come on them. They are both 51.7 cc, 3.4 hp saws. The numbering difference was probably a marketing ploy. Why would Emak manufacture two engines that close together in size, with the same hp, and put them in the same case? ...They wouldn't. That's why Oleo-Mac, Efco and John Deere only have the 51.7 cc saw. The reason the 5018 has a sticker saying it is a 51.7 cc saw is because it is. That's also why the instruction manual only points out one difference, the bar size.

I broke down and got one off of Ebay. I'm pleasantly surprised at the overall quality. It is a well built saw. The bar got a little warped in shipping, so I put a 16" ArborPro, narrow kerf bar and chain on it. The altitude here is around six thousand feet, and I had to clip the limiter cap to lean it out enough, but that done, it runs nice. I hope it picks up a little power after break in and a muffler job.

Pat

Did you pickup one of the new saws on ebay?

If you do anything substantial with the muffler, post some pics and results :rockn:

You should definitely pickup some more power after break-in.

If anybody else wants one I have a like new 5018 I'd let go for $150

Latest posts

Back