Curious, how much do you really know?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much do you know about saws?

• I can Port and polish with the best of them, nothing is off limits!

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I can gut a saw from stem to stern, muff mod, rebuild from the ground up, you bet!

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • I fix general stuff, fuel & chains, ocassionally tackle tuff stuff?

Votes: 44 32.8%
  • I can sharpen a chain, put in gas and oil and would like to fix things when they break.

Votes: 11 8.2%
  • My saws are never broke, the shop keeps them running good!!

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • What is a chainsaw?

Votes: 10 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Id put myself in between #2 and 3 - I can do more than "tinker" (I just sold an XL12 that was rebuilt from 3 saws and had basically every nut, bolt & screw touched by yours truly) but I certainly wouldnt call myself an expert.

The nice thing about a site like this is that so much of what we are really looking for is opinions - what you like, dislike, what works for you etc...

and Im good at giving my opinions, although I think they are far from expert ;)

Wheres the "I dont know a whole lot but am willing to tear one down and rebuild it" choice?

Ive built SB Chebbys, head gaskets on audi twin turbo. Re-ringed a 2.0 VW Beetle in-frame. Built a aircooled VW, and can rebuild a BW T5 5 speed. Never tore a saw down and rebuilt, but I know I could. Ive done fuel lines, carb rebuilds, and clutch work in saws and trimmers. Not a saw expert, but Ive learned enough about small 2 cycles here to share what I know.

I don't have the experience or tools to tackle the really tuff jobs, but I hope to get there. I really need more experience in diagnosing problems, rather than bothering AS members with stupid questions ;).

I am in the starting to be able to tear a saw apart and make it work. Haven't tried any porting yet.

I have been rebuilding and tinkering with motors for a long time. After high school I went to motorcycle mechanics institute in orlando florida. I got certified in dynojet, yamaha, kawasaki, suzuki, and basic tune up on HD's. In high school I was in auto tech for all 4 years. After I got out of MMI I held a job at a motorcycle shop for 10 months. I left there to work at a plant making MORE $$ and wayyyyyyy better benefits.

My hobby then turned into nitro RC's. I really got into porting and polishing those little motors.I also have done some porting on 2 stroke motorcycles in the past too. Then my hobby turned into chainsaws. The rest is history from there. What ever it may need or have done. I can do it.

For the most part I enjoy working on engines just as much as running them. I like working on my stuff and friends cause if I don't want to work on it. Then I don't untill I'm in the mood to. I also do a little at a time over a few days. That keeps me from getting burnt out.

I just love it when I tear one down, new piston,jug, rings, carb kit, fuel line, av rubber, rope, patch cracks in the case, moly coat, etc, etc

Then can't figure why it won't run:chainsawguy:

i can sharpen a chain and i want to learn to do my own work. i have a background in older GM V-8's, buildin trail trucks, lawn and garden tractors, motorcycles and now chainsaws. i have done a TON of reading on here since the first of august. for about a month i read around 10-12 hours a day here. i've slowed down on my reading lately and started focusing on building me a work shop. it's coming along slowly, and so is my chainsaw education but i will climb the chainsaw corporate ladder.

rebuilt race sled motors, dirtbikes, streetbikes

I ENJOY WORKING ON THEM, AS MUCH AS USEING THEM

SAWS ARE MY NEXT CONQUEST

Latest posts

Back