Custom 066... ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I call bs on that....don't think a different rod can be fitted. I think for it to be a stroker, it would have to have a different crank and cylinder, and maybe a reworked crankcase. But what do I know?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tom, I see you're looking at this thread, is this one of your protege's? :laugh:

You should start polishing your stuff. You could have sold me that 044 case for another $20 were it polished!

(For those that don't know Tom, he's good to deal with, and sells good saws, and nothing like the clown selling this saw!)

Last edited:
rbtree said:
I call bs on that....don't think a different rod can be fitted. I think for it to be a stroker, it would have to have a different crank and cylinder, and maybe a reworked crankcase. But what do I know?

This can be done. In fact it is commonly done on R/C racing engines witch turn 20-22k rpms.

Normally the crank is ground offset and a different rod is used resulting in a longer stroke and greater compression.

Im not sure how well it would work in a saw due to the fact that the R/C engines turn monster RPM's at relitivly low torque.

I think this guy only raised the cylinder height and crankcase volume with no HP/Torque gains whatsoever.

Poor guy is prolly thinking ""WoW!!:clap: It vibrates like hell !!:dizzy: It must be making more power....."":monkey:

Hey Jeff,

No, I was thinking that this was the same guy who paints his cylinders orange or black and calls them modified. I think this is the same seller. If I remember right though Dean tried polishing the saw parts a couple years ago. But, I haven't seen him put those out for quite a while, the guy seems to be copying a lot of stuff. Can't say if his ad is true either, I'm not into building modded saws, only trying to get them running stock.

Tom

Yes, it looks like he still has a little red "cylinder" paint!

What I think he is trying to communicate with his term "stroked" is a longer rod to improve effective rod "push" , improving TQ,,,,,,sacrificing "rev",,,,,, Picture the angle a taller rod has on the crank as opposed to shorter and there effects to "TQ" vs "rev"? ( from what I hear, the 660 is very close to optimal just the way Stihl thought it should be)

What I think is as funny as any of the "punch-lines" is the stainless plate he bolted were a sound-deadening cover should go, (hope it's stainless and not aluminum) Flat has nothing to do with deadening sound, guitars work off this idea. Stainless just has a habit of turning ugly when it get hot,looking like a polished turd!,,,, Maybe thats what he means by "cover customized to match saws theme.",,,,,?

Who ever this guy is, he seems like a guy that tapes American Chopper , and watches it with sunglasses and driving gloves on, I'm sure!

thompson1600 said:
Hey Jeff,

No, I was thinking that this was the same guy who paints his cylinders orange or black and calls them modified. I think this is the same seller. If I remember right though Dean tried polishing the saw parts a couple years ago. But, I haven't seen him put those out for quite a while, the guy seems to be copying a lot of stuff. Can't say if his ad is true either, I'm not into building modded saws, only trying to get them running stock.

Tom

No Tom, I of course knew you had nothing to do with it. I was just poking fun. :laugh: I've only ever seen you put out good, solid saws with no hype, and that's a good thing. I do remember Dean polishing some of his stuff, and I think you're right that this guy is a wannabe saw builder copying stuff he's seen and heard about.

Jeff

Looks like he couldn't find a paint to match the origional color, so wire brushed it, yikes, that would look good for about a month in our salt-air climate, then a small nightmare of continuous corrosion, sheesh. Pretty though, always wanted one of those though I think not much of the so-called mods done on this one (guess this site has made me cautious lol). Couple of more days left on the auction, be interesting to see how much the thing goes for, all shiney an' perty an' all lol.

I asked the seller the question what is the displacement and what rod did he use.

He says he was still calculating the displacement, but thinks around 6.1. The rod was from a small yamaha.

Draw what conclusions you like.

I also contacted the seller. He sounds like he may know a few things. I would say he does not deserve the negativity displayed in some of these posts. Why do some of you berate someone you don't know? I would venture no one that has criticized him has ever built a stroker saw. Mike

amen mike

i have a 385 built by bullbuck. its my first husky and it screams!!!!

this guy knows what he is doing. im just surprised someone on as dosent know him. he does chainsaw rodeos in washington/montana w/ nitrous saws.

You can put all the fancy rods in there you want, but if you don't move the rotational axis of the crankpin farther out from the centerline of the crank, you will not change the stroke.

RaisedbyWolves had an interesting point about increasing the volume of the crankcase, but I don't recall reading that 066's suffered from too small of a case.

JeffHK454 said:
Long rod + stock throw crank = deck height crash? Correct?

Jeff

That would be correct assuming the stock cylinder is used. Also note that the seller said there was a spacer under the cylinder...

I would still like to know what crank an 066 has. I have heard that it is a two piece and it would be hard to change the rod if it was....

I posted that at work and was on my way home to print a retraction!

I was running that set-up thru it paces in my head when I recalled something about a jug spacer, so freak your correct.

A friend and I actually built an air-cooled VW motor with stock bore and stroke and .400 longer rod , built for stock class endurance offroad racing.

It was a very quiet running motor, had a very favorable rod angle;)

Jeff

Freakingstang ,you don't live in Cincy, do ya? Theres a dude that runs around here with a very fast street driven Mustang , much like the one in your avatar.

I think Ruppdoggy is BSing us on this one. If this guy can stroke a Stihl crank and sell the whole saw for cheap he would be selling the crank for the bucks and not going nuts with the gimmick asthestics.

Anyone ever pay to have a crank balanced? Wonder what is would cost with a bike rod.

Fred

BTW I love the 6 inch rod in the small blocks.

six in rods in small blocks Rock! I particular like long rod 302s, but the 6 inchers are even better..

Not cincy for me, been there many a times. i'm about a hour hour east of mansfield and hour south of cleveland. I'm in no mans land!

-Steve

He probably just put a 064 jug and piston on it and had to space it because of the pin location on the 064 I know Dean has used 064 jugs on 046 bottoms

Back