custom felling dogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody111

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My dawgs that came on my stihl proved time and time again that they are way to small! After yesterday in the woods i had enough . 1 hour in the shop and this are what i came up with. Thought maybe they were to long {1 1/2 inch teeth} but they didnt get in the way and worked great

i free hand cut them with my chopsaw, then to the grinder for deburing. touched them up with die grinder. and took my time drilling holes with colbalt bits. 3 diffrerent size bits

the trees i was having trouble with are i believe red oak that have been laying down quite a while from a storm. The tree's are'nt "punky" by any measure, blocks are still very heavy and hard cutting. the trouble was the bark was starting to loosen up and kind of slip on the tree. The new dawgs went through the decaying bark and stuck on the hard wood. Hope this made sense, this is my second year heating our home with fire wood, so i am not a pro.

thanks, they work great, i think i will keep them on even after the downed red oak. alot less arm work.
i

felling dawgs..... The key reason saw manufactures use spikes on the front of a saw is for felling purposes right????? As far as bucking is concerned you should not even need spikes on the front of a saw. Not to be critical here by the looks of your bar and chain you have burn marks on the bar and your chain appears to have too much hook meaning you are filing too low in the gullet and your rakers appear to be too high. If the saw is sharpened correctly is does not matter how dense the log a sharp saw will fall through the cut with little effort
Scott

cuttinscott said:
felling dawgs..... The key reason saw manufactures use spikes on the front of a saw is for felling purposes right????? As far as bucking is concerned you should not even need spikes on the front of a saw. Not to be critical here by the looks of your bar and chain you have burn marks on the bar and your chain appears to have too much hook meaning you are filing too low in the gullet and your rakers appear to be too high. If the saw is sharpened correctly is does not matter how dense the log a sharp saw will fall through the cut with little effort
Scott
"Not even need dogs to buck", there is a man speaking who has never bucked, production wise anyhow. Scott, stick to what you know, usually I agree with you and you do know more about saws than me so I listen, here you are out of your depth, with all due respect.

you could very well be exactly right. you being the professional chain saw man that you are!!!!! all i know is that with my new chain on, my saw works much better with my new dawgs than before in my application. Not to be critcal,i know you probably have nothing more to learn or try somthing new with chainsaws. thats why i recommend you not try a much more aggresive dawg cause you would'nt want to make cuttining hard red oak a bit easier.

cuttinscott said:
Scott

I'm not seeing any burn marks on that bar at all - I can just see the laser weld line, but that's not to be confused with "burn". Also, can't tell if it's an RS or RM style chain, but an RS has a 60 degrees angle... i.e. a big "hook". not the 85 you may be talking about. As for bucking without dogs in big wood - good luck..... I have great chains and big saws, but in big wood, I still use the dogs....

OUCH!!!!!!!!! :cry: CAN YOU FEEL IT BUDDY!!!!!!! :censored: I LIKE YOUR RESPONCE AS MUCH AS I LIKE THOSE DAWGS. Nice dawgs:clap: :clap:

My chain is a stihl .325 RS with an 18in. bar. Even though my saw is probably under powered for the big teeth on the dawgs, it's a stihl 029 super with muffler mod, mild exhaust porting, and the cylinder is decked. It still makes a difference from the cute little dawgs that it came with.

woody111 said:
My chain is a stihl .325 RS with an 18in. bar. Even though my saw is probably under powered for the big teeth on the dawgs, it's a stihl 029 super with muffler mod, mild exhaust porting, and the cylinder is decked. It still makes a difference from the cute little dawgs that it came with.

Your chain hook angle is just fine then... and I still like your dawgs.

woody111 said:

Woody, your saw is fine, and your dogs rock. And yeah, you gotta use them while bucking. They're there to rock the saw and sweep the bar through the cut, beit falling or bucking. They're there to be used and make your life easier.

Jeff

Thanks to everyone for the input and replies. It's surely not the first time that I have learned a great deal from this wonderful site, special thanks to you cuttinscott, i know where you could get a pair of custom dawgs for your personal saw, and it would only cost you shipping.

Here's the 460 with the custom teeth:

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back