Custom Gaskets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2strokenut

One nut loose
Reaction score
Custom gaskets I hand cut most of mine out of gasket paper and such
I'v been rebuilding an atom chain saw and I need to make a head
gasket for it and would love to know what you all use.

Copper with an adhesive SBC style! Usually the parts stores have material like a small engine head gasket

I make a gasket or two every now and again. I use a hole punch or a belt punch along with an exacto type knife. If I don't have an old gasket to use as a template, I brush layout fluid on whatever I'm making a gasket for and then imprint it onto the gasket paper. After that, all you need is patience.

I make a gasket or two every now and again. I use a hole punch or a belt punch along with an exacto type knife. If I don't have an old gasket to use as a template, I brush layout fluid on whatever I'm making a gasket for and then imprint it onto the gasket paper. After that, all you need is patience.

OK, NIk. I'm a dummy. What's layout fluid.
Bob

Sheet Aluminum of a proper thickness covered with aluminum spray paint is an age old replacement that has worked for me in the past. Aluminum pie tin or sheet from a modeling supply is a good source.

(You said head gasket but when you mentioned port timmimg do you mean base gasket.)

Last edited:
OK, NIk. I'm a dummy. What's layout fluid.
Bob

Jeez Bob, it's isn't not knowing what layout fluid is that makes you a dummy :msp_tongue::hmm3grin2orange:
Layout fluid (also called bluing dye or "Dykem) is a very thin "paint" used in metal working to temporarily mark surfaces. I like it because it transfers from one surface to another very easily and then is just as easily removed with layout fluid remover.

images

images

Try a hobby shop you can get different thickness alum; copper steel and SS sheets

PS: at Ace last week 12 x 18 SS x .050 under $7.50

Last edited:
I always used old cereal boxes/ beer boxes for homemade gaskets, rub a little oil on the easiest surface to get to and slap a nice flat piece of paper on there pull it off and you got a real nice outline to follow, cylinder base gaskets shouldn't be a whole lot different, just be careful on how thick of paper you use... maybe a smear of permatex for good luck

Sheet Aluminum of a proper thickness covered with aluminum spray paint is an age old replacement that has worked for me in the past. Aluminum pie tin or sheet from a modeling supply is a good source.

(You said head gasket but when you mentioned port timmimg do you mean base gasket.)

yes you are right thank you for the correction :msp_biggrin:

Jeez Bob, it's isn't not knowing what layout fluid is that makes you a dummy :msp_tongue::hmm3grin2orange:
Layout fluid (also called bluing dye or "Dykem) is a very thin "paint" used in metal working to temporarily mark surfaces. I like it because it transfers from one surface to another very easily and then is just as easily removed with layout fluid remover.

images

images

We used something similar on the submarine, called Prussian Blue... except we used it to paint the sack of a newbie just before we pulled into port... nice blue color that lasted for days.. maybe more like weeks!!:msp_wink:

If there's anything like one of these around and they've got the machines,you might see if a small donation could get something made.
home brew CNC, laser cutting and lots of more mundane stuff on study in this crowd.
HackerspaceWiki.

The plastic extruding replicators should be of interest for making odd bits, too.

and if there's a crowd that could figure out (and *maybe* improve) the software in your carb,
this'd be a good starting point to meet them.

they tend to like tinkering with stuff as bad or worse than us.
=
i really suould get off my duff and go get acquainted with
charlotte one and see if thy can use any of my , stuff that prbly never
udes due to whay tsome tings in my life situation have turnd out,

Last edited:
Back