Cut a willow oak in the yard with pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
id cut it close to the ground,,then burn that stump out,,one way or the other.....otherwise,,those freaking roots will keep growing,,and the tree is liable to come back!!!!!

Burning a stump out is a big hassle. I cut mine low enough so the mower blades miss it, and paint the top of the stump with 41% concentrated roundup. That kills the root system. I do that withl invasive trash trees that I don't want sprouting back.

stihl sawing, http://homeguides.sfgate.com/stop-oak-tree-roots-septic-lines-61112.html
This article suggests using copper sulphate but lots of people I know just bury a ground wire and the copper leaches which kills new roots. I wouldn't suggest surrounding a tree with it but I would think just putting it on one side 20' or so from a living tree wouldn't be an issue. Lots of google info on it though.

stihl sawing, http://homeguides.sfgate.com/stop-oak-tree-roots-septic-lines-61112.html
This article suggests using copper sulphate but lots of people I know just bury a ground wire and the copper leaches which kills new roots. I wouldn't suggest surrounding a tree with it but I would think just putting it on one side 20' or so from a living tree wouldn't be an issue. Lots of google info on it though.
Awesome, thanks for the link. if I dig it back up I will sure put some down. shouldn't be anything near it other than a dogwood tree. I did cut the stump flush and bored it in several places about the length of the 20 inch bar. I poured table salt down the bore cuts. Didn't have but half a box of salt. I will get some more and fill the holes. Should get the salt way down deep.

Why don't you use a product specifically designed to kill trees once it cut off? Roots in the septic system are real bad and for what you are going to pay burying copper you could buy the correct thing to begin with.

I never cut anything invasive with a topic application of Tordon RTU immediately after cutting.

http://www.dowagro.com/usag/prod/051.htm

I own/manage 5 rental house, plus my house and a cottage. Copper sulfate in the drains, 2x a year. You can pick it up at farm stores or co-ops. Keeps the roots out of the drain lines and the tank. Yes roots keep growing, even years later.

I read where setting charcoal on the stump will burn it out in half a day. Might take longer if it's really green.

I had this same problem years ago with a large red maples roots getting into my septic lines. Its amazing how those hair roots find the joints in pipe. My dad would use the copper sulfate as directed and it worked to a certain extent.

The tree that I was having problems with, actually had roots going into the pipe, and growing into the house about 18 inches. The copper sulfate had an opening in the root ball about 2 inches round. The toilets were working fine, but I noticed a slight sewage smell in the basement. Then I noticed a drip in the Y pipe where it went through the wall. My pipe was old terracotto so I dug it all up on the outside of the house. The roots were so bad that when I cracked the old pipe apart, it looked like an injection mold of fine roots. This was so long ago that I never thought to take picticures but it was a perfectly formed root clump that looked like the Y pipe, a 12inch straight and a sweeping 90 degree elbow. I have no idea how the toilet even flushed but that root WAD had to have been in there years. The copper sulphate kept the pipes opened just enough for the water to drain.

You did the right thing by cutting out that tree.

Going to the store tomorrow for some stuff to kill the stump, would have today but didn't get finished cutting in time.

When Tordon is applied it needs to be used immediately after cutting off the stump. If a few days have gone by, I would cut it off again to get fresh wood and then apply.

I'll have to get it on today then, There is no fresh wood to cut. I cut it flush to the ground

If you can't make another cut due to interference with the ground, take the tip of an old saw chain and "rough up" the outer cambium or sapwood of the tree. Tordon only needs to be applied on the outside, and is just wasted on the heart wood. It is important get fresh wood so the chemical gets absorbed into the roots. When properly applied, it doesn't take much. One quart goes a long ways. Put in a spray bottle or small bottle that can allow it to be dribbled out like a dish soap bottle.

Latest posts

Back