Cut down first large tree today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you had a couple issues with your notch. If your bar is not long enough to cut from one side to the other of the log, start with your bottom cut and cut in about 1/3rd depth then walk around to the other side with the saw still in the log continue making your bottom cut pulling your saw towards you cutting with the top of the chain. Be CAREFULL doing this as the tip will want to grab and kick the saw back. Then make your (angle) top cut accordingly to meet up with your bottom cut at 1/3rd depth. Your back cut should be about 1-2" above your notch. This is one of many techniques for falling large trees but is a very effective cut in most scenarios. Nice job nun the less, be carefull and have fun.

Hehe, yes this is the tree I was cutting when having trouble with the saw. the chain kept throwing.
Never the less, the section that has less wood cut in the angle caused the tree to fell in the direction I wanted it to hehe. So I guess I was lucky in a sense. It was a learning experience. First I want to have a tighter chain :p

Yes, soft maple

Maple is excellant firewood but not worth a lot for a saw log besides you only have one short log there. Better put in the stove.

Maple does make good firewood, but if you have more on your property, research Music Wood. Maple with certain types of wood grain are valuable for guitar making. In fact, music wood theft is now right up there with cedar theft. I don't know much about it, other than the signs of thieves who are searching for maple. Music wood is easy to transport, you cut it into slabs. The thieves can easily pack it out of the woods so it is a niche market for a property owner with only a chainsaw for equipment. That's all I know about it. Other sources of info might be a cabinet making business, a hardwood mill, or you can google it.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think you will find for music wood they are only interested in the figured wood. That tree looks straight grained to me and besides it looks like some stain on the stump. I know peeler maples were bringing about $450/thousand a year ago. Not sure now but probably a lot less.

Yeah it will most likely become firewood. I may use the straighter part to mill up some 2x4's for my personal use. I am so eager to get my hands on a band saw mill. I was eyeballing the Baker Wood Buddy.

as soon as you post pictures of a stump prepare for the comments, i've dropped a lot of trees where i wanted them to go and then had a really retarded looking stump i wouldn't show to anyone

hehe, im not worried. These guys know what they are talkin about, so I am only learning.

as soon as you post pictures of a stump prepare for the comments, i've dropped a lot of trees where i wanted them to go and then had a really retarded looking stump i wouldn't show to anyone

It's like I tell the guy's who work for me. If you ain't got a pretty stump, you didn't have control. You were just lucky.

Andy

You said it red-you can get away with a crappy looking stump like that in the woods, but if you left a stump that proves you have no clue in someone's yard, i'd take your saw away from you. What is this thread doing in the logging forum anyway?

Back