Cut down first large tree today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautifull hack job! cutting like that will get you killed brother.

Be nice, Every one has to start some where atleast he is spending some time here to hopefully educate himself a little further. Practice makes perfect just be carefull.

You are right Red, I was lucky. And practice does make perfect.
I respect the danger of cutting tree's and do not act foolishly when felling a tree. As mentioned before I was having a bad time with the saw and the chain falling off. I will admit I am no pro, just learning.

My next cut will definitly be very much improved. Not only have I been taking into consideration what you guys have said to me but I have been reading and doing more research on the subject.

I will definitely get a helmet but what are the chaps good for? And what are they made out of?

Thanks guys.

A flat bar?

Yes, the chain I was using was stretched. It was not the way i was tightening the bar. I put a new chain on and it was nice n snug. That's when I finished cutting the tree down.

You brought er on down and are still functioning, that's the main thing. As stated, the stump isn't much, therefor the technique wasn't either. I am sure you could have easily lost your saw or your health on that tree. Keep at it though, and maybe work on some smaller trees until you have your equipment straightened out, your felling technique perfected, then work your way up.

I do have one concern, why do you look like you are on a snowboarding trip felling timber? Just thought I would ask.

Last edited:
You brought er on down and are still functioning, that's the main thing. As stated, the stump isn't much, therefor the technique wasn't either. I am sure you could have easily lost your saw or your health on that tree. Keep at it though, and maybe work on some smaller trees until you have your equipment straightened out, your felling technique perfected, then work your way up.

I do have one concern, why do you look like you are on a snowboarding trip felling timber? Just thought I would ask.

I hear ya, good advice.

Haha, well first of all I don't really snowboard anymore, I ride my bike over jumps. That tree is very close to my house, like 400 feet away and those are just some of my "normal, don't care if I get dirty or ruin clothes."
Does it matter what I am wearing to cut a tree down right? hehe

That downed tree is about 50% firewood now. I really need to get a wheel barrow or something to haul the wood. At this point it looks like i will be using man power to carry it all to the road :(

Last edited:
Does it matter what I am wearing to cut a tree down right? hehe

He's talking about chaps. To protect your legs for the chainsaw.

[/QUOTE]That downed tree is about 50% firewood now. I really need to get a wheel barrow or something to haul the wood. At this point it looks like i will be using man power to carry it all to the road :([/QUOTE]

Words are meaningless without pics, man. :greenchainsaw:

He's talking about chaps. To protect your legs for the chainsaw.
That downed tree is about 50% firewood now. I really need to get a wheel barrow or something to haul the wood. At this point it looks like i will be using man power to carry it all to the road :(

Words are meaningless without pics, man. :greenchainsaw:

No I think that was the previous post talking about chaps. I was referring to the "snowboarder clothes" comment :)

Well, if you haver read any of my other thread you can tell I love to take photos and post them up. I will keep this thread going until the tree is completely gone. I do plan on milling up some 2x4's out of the straighter part as well.

. I really need to get a wheel barrow or something to haul the wood. At this point it looks like i will be using man power to carry it all to the road :(

Wheelbarrow is good. So is one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/57ynnl

Got one last year, and I'm VERY glad I did! That thing is a beast. Makes life much easier when trying to move 36" oak rounds! :D

Wheelbarrow is good. So is one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/57ynnl

Got one last year, and I'm VERY glad I did! That thing is a beast. Makes life much easier when trying to move 36" oak rounds! :D

That link doesnt work. What product are you referring to?

????????????
Try to make prettier stumps ??

A hard hat , preferably with muffs and face screen should always be part of your saw ,, So should chaps .....

What kind of bar oil are you using ???

Good work tho ...

Prettier stumps meaning safer cuts :) Is what i think he meant.

I was wearing eye and ear protection. I should have had a helmet and chaps yes. I will for next time.
Umm, bar oil varies on what shop we buy it at. I can't recall any of the names though.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Get some Motion Lotion for B&C Oil, its the only stuff I use now.

The chaps are one of the most important pieces of safety equipment you can wear, right after a hard hat, and eye protection. You never know when a branch or top is coming down, and it'll crack a skull in no time. Chaps will bind up the blade of the saw, nearly on contact. I just watched a girl in an equipment operation class put them to good use (first time I've ever seen exactly how they work, really cool actually). She was ripping a decent size spruce (just as a lesson) and didn't realize how far through she was, got to the end and kept pulling on the saw, right into the chaps. The chain bound up almost instantly, and she didn't even tear through them, her jeans underneath were untouched. She won't even touch the saw now if its running poor thing.

What kind of saw were you running, looks like a decent size Husky. If you couldn't tighten the chain more than that you have the wrong size chain, they don't stretch that much, you look like your about 2 links too big (If that really was tightened as far as it would go, I bet you just didn't loosen the clutch cover nuts before you tried tightening it with the adjuster screw).

I hope to god you weren't out there alone doing that, without experience. If I feel uncomfortable with a tree because of lean, size, or deadwood up top I'll ask anyone I know to come watch me, just in case something were to happen its good to have somebody to get help.

Get some Motion Lotion for B&C Oil, its the only stuff I use now.

The chaps are one of the most important pieces of safety equipment you can wear, right after a hard hat, and eye protection. You never know when a branch or top is coming down, and it'll crack a skull in no time. Chaps will bind up the blade of the saw, nearly on contact. I just watched a girl in an equipment operation class put them to good use (first time I've ever seen exactly how they work, really cool actually). She was ripping a decent size spruce (just as a lesson) and didn't realize how far through she was, got to the end and kept pulling on the saw, right into the chaps. The chain bound up almost instantly, and she didn't even tear through them, her jeans underneath were untouched. She won't even touch the saw now if its running poor thing.

What kind of saw were you running, looks like a decent size Husky. If you couldn't tighten the chain more than that you have the wrong size chain, they don't stretch that much, you look like your about 2 links too big (If that really was tightened as far as it would go, I bet you just didn't loosen the clutch cover nuts before you tried tightening it with the adjuster screw).

I hope to god you weren't out there alone doing that, without experience. If I feel uncomfortable with a tree because of lean, size, or deadwood up top I'll ask anyone I know to come watch me, just in case something were to happen its good to have somebody to get help.

Ahh yes, Motion Lotion has been on my list of things to get. The biodegradable kinda in fact.

Long story short about that chain, its been discussed here before, is that I have no idea what caused it. When it was new it fit snug. The saw made it into the hands of several inexperienced people who cut crooked and forced the bar to try to cut straight and causing the chain to throw. One guy even bent a drive link really bad. Don't ask me how. Anyways I think that chain went through a lot of inexperienced people, I am sure it stretched and was bent. For some odd reason it would no longer stay snug. I ended up tossing it as it was throwing all the time. Just plain dangerous. I have not had any trouble with a chain since I've added new chains.

The saw I used for cutting that maple down was a Husky 359 XP. Great saw but I would like just a little more power :D
I was about to go buy a Stihl 046 but I ran out of money. I really want to own a stihl cause of all the hype and talk about them. Although I am very interested in the Husky 372XPG.

I'll buy some chaps.

Latest posts

Back