CUT MY 1ST CORD OF FIREWOOD WITH MY BRAND NEW DOLMAR 5105,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave mclennan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
CUT SOME FIR TODAY WITH MY 1ST BRAND NEW SAW THE DOLMAR 5105 lots of power and torque, with this saw, I cut some fir 20 in. and it never bogged once, I was a little worried if I should of gone to 60cc but this pro saw is fine, and after putting in 7-8 hours today cutting and bucking wood, I was glad its not to heavy, I took the advice of one of the members and used regular mixing oil instead of synthetic for its 1 st day of cutting and added some marvel mystery oil for break in, ive used marvel mystery oil in my 61 Harley when the engine was rebuilt and figured it couldn't hurt. my partner has a husky 455 rancher and for fun we set up a test to see whos saw was the fastest cutting thru some big birch and I won not by much but I clearly won 3 times in a row, the next few weeks this saw will get worked hard, winters right around the corner.

What size bar are you running Dave? I'm looking at the dolmars but can't decide what model I want.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

hi brian I'm using the 20 in bar the 5105 can run it easy I'm tall so for limbing I'm not bending over so much to, the 50cc 510 or Makita 5121 dosent have the grunt I like when the saw hits hardwood or bigger logs, my partner has a 6100 dolmar, but I seldom use it I guess it depends on what your doing, I get teased by some of the guys here about running a 51 cc saw all the time but at the end of a 8 hour day of cutting firewood I appreciate the lighter saw.

I'm with you Dave. My 50cc gets the majority of my work too. I only grab the big saw when needed. I'm looking at the dolmar 6100, 6400 and 7900. Not sure what I want yet.

The 5105 is a fantastic saw , we run one in our fleet , lives with a Tsmura 15” bar on it and very little stops it . Never tried a 20” on it though .
I swapped the cat muffler for a 5100 non cat version and that pepped it up a bit too .

The 5105 is a fantastic saw , we run one in our fleet , lives with a Tsmura 15” bar on it and very little stops it . Never tried a 20” on it though .
I swapped the cat muffler for a 5100 non cat version and that pepped it up a bit too .
yes yes I going to do that I have to talk to the dealer if it matters with the warranty or not, hes pretty good though, I might do it anyway

Getting ready to start cutting firewood too. Will likely do most of it with my MS260 (50.5cc). Like you said, it is light weight yet powerful enough to get the job done all day long.

New saws are fun. Don't delay, start looking into how to sharpen your chains. My 290 was amazing the first year, then became very frustrating (the next year) until I learned to sharpen the chain. Now it has been amazing for the last 3 years.

Once they get dirty it is 90% all about the chain.

New saws are fun. Don't delay, start looking into how to sharpen your chains. My 290 was amazing the first year, then became very frustrating (the next year) until I learned to sharpen the chain. Now it has been amazing for the last 3 years.

Once they get dirty it is 90% all about the chain.
there is a real art to sharpening I'm finally getting good at it but not great at it easier on the motor to

I'm a big fan of the 2 in 1 files that get the teeth and the rakers in one shot

When that tool came out in Europe I bought it straight away and brought it home with me. My boss was floored how well it worked and 1 year later when we could get them I ordered dozens of them. Pretty much every pro outfit we service bought a few. They really do a good job!

When that tool came out in Europe I bought it straight away and brought it home with me. My boss was floored how well it worked and 1 year later when we could get them I ordered dozens of them. Pretty much every pro outfit we service bought a few. They really do a good job!
They sure do work great. I'm more picky with longer chains and milling chains but for the typical firewood chains, they're the best.

This guy uses a 54cc saw all the time, and I dare say is more talented than the big part of internet jockeys we see here all the time...

This guy uses a 54cc saw all the time, and I dare say is more talented than the big part of internet jockeys we see here all the time...

Well.... He is fun to watch but that is as far as I would go. I am hopeful he stays under the radar lest he incurs the wrath of WorkSafeBC using those saws. :eek:

Back