Cut Through my Chaps - Next Set?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B_Turner

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Great video, thanks for doing it. I feel my $10 was well spent. My only suggestion would be to start a separate, as in new thread which points out that there is a new video of this test, I think a lot of people don't check this thread cause it has been a while. Thanks for doing this. JR

I agree. New thread with basics facts only. Maybe chain, saw and bar and the model of chaps (6 ply).

There still might be some head shakers, but that is their problem I say. No conclusions were offerred.

I know how sharp that chain was, and I am pretty darned impressed.

It is an instant legend.....:cheers:

Last edited:
Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
As for results, I would much rather have my leg looking like the inside of those chaps as opposed to the outside of those chaps. With a relatively minor cut like that (all things considered) I could still make it home - without the chaps I am likely done for.

I think that this helps illustrate that chaps are not 'cut-proof'. Jesse pushed hard with a powerful saw and sharp chain, from the top of the bar, intentionally cutting into the chaps, and got some cut through.

In most cases, it would probably be accidental / incidental contact - less force and possibly less speed - and the protection would be more complete.

But as cjcocn notes - in either case, the user is better off wearing the chaps.

Philbert

Labonville

Labonville

ArboristSite Operative
The great thing about these videos is that it just goes to show how absolutely important it is to wear chaps when using a chainsaw. Really the only problem we saw with the test was exactly how the chaps were cut. When testing chaps you are suppose to make one swift motion (a sudden impact) with the chainsaw. This video shows him slowly grazing the chaps with applied pressure. When someone has an accident with a saw it most likely won't be a slow grazing motion. This is most likely why he got the cut threw on the chaps. Rest assured that we are in compliance with all safety laws and our chaps are tested by professionals on a regular basis. Thanks for posting the videos!

- Drea

Latest posts