New chainsaw owner, looking for safety gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

number9

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, new member and saw owner. We just bought some wooded land a few weeks ago and I needed a saw. After much forum / web searching and reading I stopped by the local dealer and picked up a Stihl MS 261 with an 18" bar. I am just a land owner that will be using the saw for general stuff. Currently the PO had shoved a bunch of trees over in the pond with a dozer and I plan to pull those out with a backhoe and cut them up. Also plan to clear out several (20-30) trees to widen the driveway into the property. Those are probably the biggest jobs I'll use the saw for right off.

This is my first saw and I plan to read and learn about the safe practices of running a saw before I really get to using it.

I've been looking into safety gear and from what I can see the Labonville extreme 10-ply chaps are about the best you can get, so I think I am going to go with them. I called and asked for some advice and the girl on the phone was not really helpful answering the question I had about them. I am 38" from top of belt to the top of my foot. The chaps come in 36" and 40" length and I don't know which length I should get. I don't know if the 36 will be too short and ride up and expose my ankle, but also don't know if the 40 will be too long and much up around my foot and cause a hazard condition - any advice would be great.

Now on to boots.....I have looked at the Husqvarna Rubber Logger Boots the Viking Black Tusk Chainsaw Boots and the Labonville Kevlar Chainsaw Boot and can't decide which would be the best. I want the most protective boot I can get and am leaning toward the Viking as it has the "Green Tree" and CE Class 3 ratings. I asked the girl about the Labonville boots today and they don't have them in stock in my size and she says they no longer make them in 6-ply kevlar, just currently 2-ply. Any advice on boots would be great as well. I need to start on getting these trees cleaned out in the next week or so, so I've got to decide on some PPE and get to practicing on the saw before I jump into that project.

Welcome to the site, In my opinion your have a good saw, you will be pleased. When I go out cutting I have my labonville chaps and head gear I pickup up at baileys. My favorite georgia steeltoes and a first aid kit with all the usuals and a few bags of quick clot and some duct tape and a new in the bag white tshirt. Just in case I ever do have a bad accident I atleast have a fighting chance to get help. Knock on wood I ve never had to use it.

The only thing I can say is when a person get comfortable and careless that's when things happen just keep ur eyes on the ball , It will be enjoyable everytime out.

Last edited:
As for the chaps I would go with the shorter ones so there's less chance to get tripped up by them they shouldn't move around there should be straps on them

I only wear chaps when I'm on a horse (nothing against them in the woods though).

As far as boots go, I am on my second pair of these: Carolina | Men's Men's 8

They're comfortable, good traction, and I can drop steel on my feet at work and logs on my feet at home without hurting myself.
They are a bit heavy, but I wear them all day, every day and it doesn't bother me. Like any truly well made boots, they do require a good week long break in period where you will wish your feet would fall off, then they get so comfortable that you don't know they're there.

-phillip

I have the husky boots. They appear very well made and are comfortable, but are heavy. All that protection comes with a weight increase. They are similar in weight to like those old black rubber mickey mouse arctic army boots. If you want to use the liners, get at least two sizes larger than you normally wear.

Make sure your chaps are long enough. I was given a pair of echo chaps (or should I say chinks) that go maybe half way past my knees. (for those who dont know, chinks are half length chaps used for riding) They are useless, as they dont cover the place I feel I would be most likely to hit. And its not like I am a giant or anything, only 6', they are like childrens chaps...

Make sure your chaps are long enough. I was given a pair of echo chaps (or should I say chinks) that go maybe half way past my knees. (for those who dont know, chinks are half length chaps used for riding) They are useless, as they dont cover the place I feel I would be most likely to hit. And its not like I am a giant or anything, only 6', they are like childrens chaps...

Great advice, measure from the top of your ankle to your beltline for the chap size. You want them to be right above the tops of your feet as they provide much better protection than just steel toe boots. Hands, feet and legs are where most saw injuries occur, short chaps don't help if you touch your shin.

If you are going to be felling, the hardhat/muff/screen combo is a good idea and a hard hat should be minimal. Read up on, watch videos and get any pro advice or instruction that you can on felling and the dangers of storm/blow down clean up. Identifying dangers and knowing how to deal with or avoid them is safer than learning via trial and error.

I prefer a pocket in my chaps to carry a couple small wedges and bar wrench. Boots mainly something with good traction, comfortable, hightops and steel toes. Lighter weight when working long hours. I like my Stihl logger boots bought of ebay about 2 or more years ago but the kicking around in the brush has the leather bruised through now and I hardly use them unless its warm and dry. Been using regular leather boots as described and even Rocky gortex without steel toes on the ditch banks. They took some dips in the water and kept my feet dry. Brush is hard on them but they are light on the feet and warm and stay dry .
Keep your chains out of the dirt and sharp. A good working tool makes for less fatigue and more predictable cutting. Be alert for hazards and ready to move fast ...

PPE reccomendations

A few remarks:

You may not need the 10 ply chaps. Realistically the 6 ply labonville chaps do a pretty good job even with big saws if you watch the video. I have not worn the ten ply chaps but Imagine that's getting pretty thick. The biggest thing for me with PPE is I want it to be comfortable enough that I wear it and am not tempted to not wear it during small jobs. before you buy them try to get word from someone that they are not unbearably hot and that they dont restrict your motion.

I own a pair of viking rubber chainsaw boots but don't use them much. They dont have good arch support and have quite a bit of wiggle room in them. I wear them with liners occasionally in the winter but overall they're not something I wear when I have a lot of work to do.

I'd just get yourself a good pair of steel toed work boots. If you do end up cutting yourself in the foot it's probably going to be that you nip your toes. It's tough to imagine a situation unless you were bore cutting down into a log right next to your foot or something that you'd land the saw into your metatarsal region. Most of the time when I'm cutting im also moving wood and running around grabbing x y or z so being able to move around comfortably all day in the woods is more important than the protection right as im cutting.

Maintaining good and sturdy footing is definitely as important or more important than actually having your feet protected. If you are uncomfortable in your boots or the boots dont support you well then I would argue that you are more likely to slip and fall, and if this happens with the saw, you could hit your torso, and that is much more dangerous.

Regarding chap length you could go either way. I tend to wear the chaps up higher than I wear my belt so more length is better; however if you intend to wear them at belt level as others have said you may want to get the shorter ones to avoid wearing out the cuff of the chaps needlessly.

Guys, I am sorry for the double post, I had posted this thread initially, and didn't see it on the forum, so posted another thinking I had screwed something up the first time. I didn't realize there is a delay while the mods review it :confused:

Anyway, the other thread is located here and has taken off pretty good..... (mods, you can just delete this one if ya want?)

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/232621.htm

Latest posts

Back