Cutting bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do only on the coldest days and it works very well. We may have to delv into the pros and cons of doing so. Should make a great thread. :cheers:

Nope. Tried a bit of the winter blend bar oil... I keep it in the truck or house (regular bar oil) so its up to temp for the first tank of fuel. After that, I figure the remainder of oil in the tank, and the heat of the motor warms it up just fine.

It doesn't get real cold here but I put a quart of 5w30 generic oil in a partial jug of Stihl stuff last winter and it did thin it down some.

Ian

I have mixed diesel, saw gas, trany fluid, 5 weight, solvent, hydrualic fluid and mazola corn oil. They all work for thinning the lubricant.

CMM

What about pouring? Let me geuss. You put the bar oil jug on the skidder manifold

Not quite, but a good idea. Maybe right on the turbo? LOL

It was 76F here today and it is December!!!! It doesn't get very cold here but a few jugs in the floor board of the truck while Im on the way to a job works.

I usually don't start using winter blend oil till it gets below freezing. Even then I mix it for the most part. If you can't tell when the bar oil needs thinned you should probaly not be using a saw.

Ok. make it worse; tell me you use old engine oil:mad:

NOTHING, I say again NOTHING, pisses me off more than working on a saw that's been using sump oil... I pad the bills accordingly.

Ok. make it worse; tell me you use old engine oil:mad:

NOTHING, I say again NOTHING, pisses me off more than working on a saw that's been using sump oil... I pad the bills accordingly.

There's a guy in our group that does that....makes for an ugly lookin saw not to mention improper maintenance..... kind of like those who never change the filter on their cars until they start rusting.....

There's a guy in our group that does that....makes for an ugly lookin saw not to mention improper maintenance..... kind of like those who never change the filter on their cars until they start rusting.....

The part I do enjoy is selling them a new oil pump... filthy crap and unlike "clean" oil", toxic waste.

I can't be bothered mixing my own secret concoction of winter oils
I spring for the extra buck and buy the Stihl winter bar oil.
It is the only Stihl product I use.

Back