Excess bar oil Stihl MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackdog76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an MS250 that’s new to me. It was missing a few things here and there but I have it put together and up and running now. It runs OK but the main problem it’s having is with the bar oil. Every time I run the saw, a ton of bar oil dumps out. So much so that it splashes up and off the back off the bar and all over the clutch housing. I put trans fluid in, with the red dye to try to narrow down the problem.

I haven’t seen anything online that matches my problem. The bar seals tight to the housing. 71FC4F82-C675-4028-8956-9AC43FB6E96E.jpegDoes this thing have the wrong bar on it?

Attachments

• B22A37FB-6FEF-4E08-A96D-B7EFB1B9332E.jpeg
    B22A37FB-6FEF-4E08-A96D-B7EFB1B9332E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
take some gas and clean everything up and run it without the clutch cover, bar, and chain and see if you can get a better idea where it's leaking. Also if it has the tank vent like the 260 I've seen them fail and when you turn it on the side to fill it with new oil it's just pouring out the vent.

ya but the amount is probably due to the thin oil and even if it was more than enough it would be slung off the chain at the end of the bar so more is going on. Everything clean inside the bar rails?

When you run a saw without cutting wood, you end up with a mess like you have because there is nothing to soak up the oil. Be happy it is oiling well. Now go cut some wood.

There's a passageway in the bar from inside the bar rail to a hole on the side of the bar that lines up with the oiler port.
  1. Is that passage clear (you can see light through it)? That passage can get blocked.
  2. Does the oil hole in the bar line up with the oiler port?
  3. Without chain, do the mating surfaces between the bar and saw seal well?
  4. Without chain, does oil pump into the bar rail when revving the saw?
  5. Is the rest of the bar rail groove clean so oil can travel inside that groove down the bar length and around the sprocket?

I turn down the oiler so I'm not clogging the housing with soppy sawdust (like when brush cutting with lots of chain rotation and not much wood), and turn up the oiler when burying the saw in wood (bucking, where most of the chain movement time is in the wood). I also run a thick, tacky oil (STIHL) in fast saws (STIHL) and thin oil in slow chain speed saws (big-box store oil in Craftsman/Ryobi/Milwaukee saws).

It's nice to not have to clean a gummy mess out of the cover every gas refill.

BD76

I had a similar problem with my 361.(I'm the original owner). What I had done is pulled the bar off to deep clean. I taped the oil slot shut to keep debris out. Forgot to remove tape and ran the saw. Realized my mistake and removed tape. Ran saw, oil everywhere. Handle, clutch, my hands and boots. Was advised to be happy it's oiling as 361's have a history of weak oiling, but this was way too excessive. Long story short, I figured it had to be related to something I had done. Replaced the oil pump. Oils like it has the previous 20 or so years. Somehow something happened to the pump. I decided to just replace it and take my lumps.

Hope this may help, good luck.

I have an MS250 that’s new to me. It was missing a few things here and there but I have it put together and up and running now. It runs OK but the main problem it’s having is with the bar oil. Every time I run the saw, a ton of bar oil dumps out. So much so that it splashes up and off the back off the bar and all over the clutch housing. I put trans fluid in, with the red dye to try to narrow down the problem.

I haven’t seen anything online that matches my problem. The bar seals tight to the housing. View attachment 1111498Does this thing have the wrong bar on it?
Put up a pic of the bar oil container of the oil that you are using.

Seems to be oiling well just not getting where it needs to go.
Double nut the bar studs to make sure that they are screwed in all the way. If the P.O. was a han-fisted gorilla and over tightened the clutch cover the studs could pull / start to unscrew.

As others have said you can also take a stack of washers and mount the bar without the cover and watch where the oil goes.

Back