Cutting firewood to help a friend in need (with pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey all, been a little while. I've been busy on the house and life in general. About six weeks ago, all my friends had a scare as one of our best friends was in a car accident on his way to work. Combined impact speed of about 80 mph. He suffered a broken humerus and some pretty serious brain trauma. He's recovering well, and supposed to make a full recovery. Of course this news came at the same time that we find out his young wife is pregnant with their first, due in October. After a while of feeling kind of helpless, I suggest we all pitch in and get some firewood for him; they burn steady and they'll want the house warm this winter with a new born for sure!

As it happened, the parents of one of our circle of friends had a large oak and some ash taken down near their yard and driveway by a tree service, so I told em to leave the wood, we'd work it up and haul it down for our friend. We ended up working two long days this weekend, but had a good crew both days and got a ton done. It ended up being close to 8 cords of great quality firewood. Ash for this year, red oak for next.

Here's my WRX loaded up with my gear including my 372 (24" b/c), my 290 (18" b/c), maul, wedges, ax, PPE, tools, etc.
IMG_0735.jpg

Start of the day- one of us had the Huskee 36 ton, and my 22 ton was also there. The red oak was about 36" on the stump.
IMG_0738.jpg

About mid-day on Saturday- all the ash was across the yard that was too wet to drive a truck on, so the little wheel horse and trailer moved all of it over to the driveway. Fortunately the three ash were all about 18" on the stump, so we carted over most of the rounds whole and split em up at the driveway.
IMG_0740.jpg

The crew. The one who was in the crash is in the sling. I'm the one with the 372 and the chaps on the shoulder.
IMG_0748.jpg

Believe it or not, the 22 ton split everything we put on it, including a couple of those oak rounds, whole. Very impressed with that machine.
IMG_0758.jpg

TBC...

Last edited:
The wood in the last pic above, plus what's in the pic below was left over what was left over from day one. We hauled three truck beds plus two trailer's worth down already.
IMG_0756.jpg

The pile on Saturday evening at M's house (the one in the crash). That's his cousin's truck, belongs to the guy second from the right in the photo in the OP.
IMG_0759.jpg

My 372 on the oak.
IMG_0763.jpg

Dueling splitters on Sunday morning, day 2.
IMG_0764.jpg

End of the day, Sunday. All stacked and covered. Just about 8 cord. I'm tired as hell today, got a little too much sun, but glad we did it all. I think it made us all feel better.
IMG_20110501_191526.jpg

That's his cousin's truck, belongs to the guy second from the right in the photo in the OP.

From the looks of the tag, he must be from Conn (I have a brand new set of those historical tags that came with my Studebaker 4x4).

Good job on helping him out.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. We've all definitely got a good support system.

From the looks of the tag, he must be from Conn (I have a brand new set of those historical tags that came with my Studebaker 4x4).

Good job on helping him out.

Yup, they're CT antique plates; where I live in MA is right on the CT border, and I grew up in CT. Pretty much everyone else in the photos is from NE CT.

Latest posts

Back