Cutting Limbs off of Pecan Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missing

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello,

i have some pecan trees that have limbs that are in the way and need to be trimmed. good or bad this time of year. how good, how bad. thanks

Need more details as to how much will be cut, how big are the cuts, who will be doing the cutting, and how will the cutting be done. Pruning is usually best done in the fall, but dead wood and some interfering limbs can be pruned any time. Pecan tends to rip when cut so care must be used when cutting limbs so as to not damage the tree. Post some pictures of the tree and you might get a better response. Best advice I can offer is if you are not sure, hire someone.

Dadatwins said:
Need more details as to how much will be cut, how big are the cuts, who will be doing the cutting, and how will the cutting be done. Pruning is usually best done in the fall, but dead wood and some interfering limbs can be pruned any time. Pecan tends to rip when cut so care must be used when cutting limbs so as to not damage the tree. Post some pictures of the tree and you might get a better response. Best advice I can offer is if you are not sure, hire someone.

Good advice. this is a good time of year foir PROPER pruning. See the links below, and don't take too much off.

Thank you, here are the details

i have 9 big pecan trees that have not been trimmed in some time. they were planted in the late 40's. i have dead limbs, limbs crossed, limbs hanging to the ground, that are in danger of cracking it seems to me. the trees just have not been well maintained. i am trying to start to clean up the mess, and was looking for general information. some of the trees i will have to climb to the top to remove dead limbs, and trim accordingly. just trying to get some trimmed now and then some in the fall.

i have a large pine in the front yard, it is posted in another thread in this group. i am trying to identify the species, and how to remove the moss from the branches.

lots of trees in my space that have been neglected over the years, and i am trying to clean them up, and treat so they will be around for the next 50 or so years. not to mention, picked about 350 lbs of pecans this year. so that is a good thing. thanks to the group.

i live in San Antonio, TX so unless somebody has a arborist to recommend, i am best served with me as the arborist.

San Antonio Arborists

Minnia, Terri CPS Energy 210-353-5871
Maureen D&R Tree Care Co., Inc 210-684-4806
Stroud, Clyde CPS Energy 210-353-5243
Stephens, Ryan Tree Pruning 2104952110
Bird, Mark Preferred Landscape and Lighting 210-316-9329
Sillitoe, Thomas E. 210-999-7807
Reid, Debbie City of San Antonio 210-207-8053
Pina, Rene Artistic Enterprises, Inc. 210-561-0155
Berkeley, Norborn C. Davey Tree Expert Co. 2106980515
Villanueva, Jr., Antonio Bartlett Tree Experts 210-655-4670

For a search of Arborists in your area (for Texas), please visit this website...
http://www.trees-isa.org/default2.asp

Latest posts

Back