Cutting of downed trees - Looking for tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more add on.
Make sure you bring a second saw. It is highly likely with downed tops that you will have a branch twist and pinch your saw and you'll need another to get it out.
I helped clear tornado damage once with 3 other guys and ended up with 3 out of 4 saw pinched at the same time.:bang:

You might try asking the people where you got the saw if they could reccomend someone with expirence to help you. There is nothing wrong with learning on your own however a little help cant hurt. As with everyone else be very mindful of kickback. Wear chaps, hearing protection (helmet earmuff combo), gloves and make some chips.

Tools

Make sure you have a Canthook/peavey, something to roll the logs with. If you can get several blocks under the big logs it'll save you some sharpening. Whether cutting from the top or bottom, make sure you cut in a ways from both sides to allow for pinching. Watch close for pinching, so you don't get your bar stuck in the wood. This means slowing down a bit when you get over half way through the log, if you see the top start pinch, get out and work if from the bottom, using your tip from the bottom to cut up towards your other cut. I usually cut it all from the top, leave about 4" on the bottom of tree, spin the whole log, then cut from the bottom to top of what's left with the tip of the saw. Not sure if it's right, but this is how i was showed many years ago and it seems to work well for me... For smaller trees, they make a device that has a canthook and a wedge to roll the log that will hold it up off the ground for you to cut. Check baileys or something for that. Good luck and be careful... Were you closer I'd work with you for a day and show you what I've learned. Matter of fact tomorrow i'll make a short video of some of the basic things in action... Take care eh?

:cheers:
Dude

Maybe to late, but get your self another powerfull saw. Today i felled 20 trees. and for felling is use a stihl 260. After that i use a husq 394xp with a 32 inch blade. Usefull power though. I cut a lot of firewood and found out that power is the message (and razor sharp chains). Looking at the size of your logs, it wont be bad having a heavy saw. As for safety, take advance of the above metioned rules. They will help you for sure!

Not to throw stones but you don't need a monster saw to fall trees or cut them up.

For years all I had was a Poulan S-25 and a Mac pm 610 and I did just dandy .20 inchs of useable bar on the 610 of course would handle about 40 inchs of wood but not with lightening speed.Back in the day though the biggest I ever got into was around 3 feet and that rarely.

I've got the monster saws today and they are nice but not entirely manditory to get the job done.That 361 should work out fine.Unless a guy were a west coast faller or in the tree bus buying an 066 or 088 size is lot of money to be laying out to slice up a few trees.

I'm cutting about 100-200 trees a year. Some small, some bigger. I did 4 beech 90 feet tall, 4 feet thick. Now power counts! Aslo the speed is very important for me. I agree it's a lot of money for a one time job. As soon it start to get your job, or second job, time will count. and Power will help much to win time. But this are just my thoughts, it not a rule.

There has been so much good info posted here I can't add anything, but take advantage of the situation! last Dec I cut 3 full cords of pine that was Blow'n down in the Forest Reserve Just west of me a short 60km drive.Now they have been picking it up, that is the lumber companies probably for pulp or something all trees 16'' dia at the most.

:chainsaw: Be careful! My first advise as others have suggested is to get help from someone very well versed in storm damaged trees. I had a woods that was hit in 1985 by a tornado and it was not a simple thing to clean up even with heavy equipment. If these trees still are on the stump then you could be in serious danger if you do not know what you are doing! The stump alone on a small tree weighs about 1 ton and a large tree can be 6 tons or more.
Also, the limbs of the downed tree are under tension and can spring once cut causing a very nasty situation too. Keep your work area clean limb by limb. Take your time and always have a friend with you when working on the big ones. Maybe think about renting a big excavator with a thumb on it to help handle the sheer weight of these giants. I have a small excavator and I use it to control as many situations as possible especially with storm cleanup. Start with small trees, gain experience, and apply what you learn to the big ones.
Good luck.

:chainsaw: Be careful! My first advise as others have suggested is to get help from someone very well versed in storm damaged trees. I had a woods that was hit in 1985 by a tornado and it was not a simple thing to clean up even with heavy equipment. If these trees still are on the stump then you could be in serious danger if you do not know what you are doing! The stump alone on a small tree weighs about 1 ton and a large tree can be 6 tons or more.
Also, the limbs of the downed tree are under tension and can spring once cut causing a very nasty situation too. Keep your work area clean limb by limb. Take your time and always have a friend with you when working on the big ones. Maybe think about renting a big excavator with a thumb on it to help handle the sheer weight of these giants. I have a small excavator and I use it to control as many situations as possible especially with storm cleanup. Start with small trees, gain experience, and apply what you learn to the big ones.
Good luck.
1. nice post
2. Welcome to AS:cheers:

take advantage of the situation! last Dec I cut 3 full cords of pine that was Blow'n down in the Forest Reserve Just west of me a short 60km drive. .
Just a thought.There is a lot of difference in a windblown pine and a windblown oak.Those danged oak can uncoil a branch under tension that can smack you in the noggin better that Sammy Sousa going for a home run.I'm not saying by any stretch of the imagination that a windfall pine is all that safe.

Actually any tree on the ground has it's challanges.It's just that a windfall could harbor some tremendous tension caused by the wind as well as ricocheting off other trees etc going for the ground.With a man on a saw tripping the tree you can control the fall,more or less.The wind puts it where it darn well pleases .

Good advice all around, but I too think the excavator or tractor with a bucket might be a big help if you have one available. I occassionally work with a guy who can really handle his 4WD tractor, and it truly saves alot of work with everything from pushing everything into piles to steadying logs that might be inclined to roll.

It was also mentioned, but is worth repeating about keeping your chains as sharp as you can. It will speed up your cutting, and keep you from trying to force the saw, which will increase the chance of an accident, and p##s off your saw.

Latest posts

Back