Cutting speed equivalents list of various Stihl chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever figured out and listed...
The size of log each model of Stihl chainsaw could cut in the same amount of time using the same chain and same type of wood?

Something like this would be *very* handy for deciding which model of saw to buy. Take the guesswork out! Also it would be quite handy for selecting bar sizes for each model.

The list would look something like this...
(All saws using same chain, same type of wood, and would cut the size of log listed in the *same* amount of time)
Model Power Log size
MS 170 1.3 kW 5" log
MSE 140 1.4 kW 5.5" log?
MS 210 1.5 kW 6" log?
MS 200 1.6 kW 6.5" log?
MS 200 1.65 kW Etc....
MSE 220 1.7 kW
MS 250 2.2 kW
MS 260 2.4 kW
MS 270 2.5 kW
MS 280 2.7 kW
MS 290 2.8 kW
MS 310 3.0 kW
MS 390 3.2 kW
MS 361 3.3 kW
MS 440 4.0 kW
MS 460 4.5 kW
MS 650 4.8 kW
MS 660 5.2 kW
MS 880 6.4 kW

Billy Bob
I see your point, and think that it would be fairly easy to get a few field test,,,,and fill in the blanks using the kW rating. One of the biggest factors would be the operator, it would be like the same as say someone like me on a skidsteer, or someone that ran one for a living,,,, The pro could walk circles around me with a smaller engine. The operator is such a factore that golf clubs have a mechinized swinger to compair clubs.
So it would still be back to the hunam factor

What ShoerFast said

ShoerFast said:
Billy Bob
I see your point, and think that it would be fairly easy to get a few field test,,,,and fill in the blanks using the kW rating. One of the biggest factors would be the operator, it would be like the same as say someone like me on a skidsteer, or someone that ran one for a living,,,, The pro could walk circles around me with a smaller engine. The operator is such a factore that golf clubs have a mechinized swinger to compair clubs.
So it would still be back to the hunam factor
That is so true...back in high school and then again in college we tried to figure which baseball bat weight, length and barrel size would be best for hitting for average, power, bunting, no strikeouts etc. It always came down to the individual. Some smaller guys did better with bigger bats, some big guys did best with toothpicks...all a matter of comfort and confidence. :)

Wouldn't work, because at some oint you are forced to use different pitches and gauges of chain and different bars. But you already knew that.

Come up with a standard unit of measure. We will call it novice and just like golf we can move back to the pro line if you choose. You can move up to the ladies tee.

From there we can establish par for each model. Your chain&bar can be your club selection for each tree. So the announcer doesn't have to fake whisper in a friendly game of chainsaw.

Announcer; There is Bugfart hes got an interesting lie with a mature Poplar over there and it's got that split V real low like it's two trees... Bugfart looks confused... Pulling out his cell phone... He's calling a pro! There goes his mulligan... Well there was no hesitation there but I wouldn't climb a tree and then call one of these pro's to cut it down... He did get a nice view of the field of play though... Let's call him over

Announcer; Bugfart, we saw you whip out that cell phone right away.
Bugfart; It's the biggest club in my bag.
Announcer; What's that?
Bugfart; That is a Homelite Model 17, I'm still stalking that Burgerking creature. After I fell him I have this Hilliard&Bradsby for bucking.
Announcer; 34 oz, why not the more popular Loisville slugger?
Bugfart; I just happened to like the feel of this.
Announcer; Once again we just can't escape the human element. Now, over to you....

Well then....

Is there any data on speed of cutting for stock Stihl saws which includes model numbers for saw, bar, and chain. And includes type of wood and diameter?

Or data on cutting speed of different chains using the same model saw (stock)?

BTW.... Testing of products is nothing new and is not rocket science. Other products are tested for their speed such as cars, motorcycles, computers, electric motors, etc.

Maybe speed would help me (and others). Is there a list of various stock models of chainsaws and what their max speed should be adjusted to?

there is a lot a varible in each model. for example here are three 023's in 8x8 wood running the same chain: the one was 4.64 and 4.57 another was 5.37 and 5.57 and one was 6.17 and 6.15. this was all the same day, same stick and factory recommended settings. each time was one down cut from the time the chain hit the wood untill the chain finished the cut.
here are the times on two 026's and two 026 pros: both 026's ran a 4.50 but the pros ran and 5.97 and a 6.13.
how about two right out of the box 357 husky's? 3.40,3.43 and 3.47 against the second 2.90,2.83 and 2.93.
here is a 372 husky with a stock muffler 2.59,2.67 and 2.69 against the same saw with a walkerized muffler. 1.63,1.97 and 1.85. the stihl 034 ran 4.19, 4.39 and 4.25 that day.
geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze. my lists just go on. marty

In USSR chainsaws were qualifyed by the cuting speed counting the number of cm2 cutted by saw during one second of spruce log with diameter 25-30-45 cm.
Druzhba has this number 75 cm2/s, Taiga 214 50-70cm2/s, Ural 100cm2/s ;)

Billy_Bob said:
Maybe speed would help me (and others). Is there a list of various stock models of chainsaws and what their max speed should be adjusted to?

Yes, every Stihl owner's and service manual lists it's individual max stock rpm. Even that wouldn't be apples to apples. The MS 260 will turn faster than an old 056 Mag, but which will cut faster?

I think the information already available, hp/kw, weight, price and features should be enough for someone to decide which saw to buy if they do their homework.

Jeff

Back