Decisions Stihl 271, 261, or Husky 353 for farm job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlabamaCatfish

Reaction score
Hope y'all can help me with a decision.

Until now, I've done homeowner tree clearing with a Stihl MS250, 18" bar, Oregon Chain. Good saw. Can't say too much about getting it serviced, because it's always been a real pain. (They CONSTANTLY can't get this part or that part, or a simple fix will take 2 weeks - and I'm a small acreage owner, it's not like I take this to the great North Woods of the West or Midwest!) Starting the MS250 is a pain in the horse's south end, but once it's started, laaaaawwwwwwwwdddd does it run, and solid.

But now my needs have changed. My father-in-law, (whom I like) is the owner of a farm, and I will be helping him clear 20 acres of trees to expand his operation. We're doing it ourselves. The trees we'll be working on are a mixture - 80% Southern Pine (not tall at all), and 20% Oak and Chestnuts (not old growth, but vibrant, thick, and very solid). I'm cutting this in South Alabama. Needless to say the weather will be either one of two ways. 90-95 degrees and humidity north of 65%, or raining forty-hells, and 80-85 degrees. (I say that because I've heard some saws don't like hot weather).

That having been said, I need some suggestions here. I know an 18" bar will be sufficient for the job. However, will the MS-250 Stihl be sufficient, or should I look at a 271 or 261? (I know Stihl, because it's the first saw I've ever used, and it's what I'm experienced with) I'm attracted by the Husky 353 (as many of the power and highway crews down here like Husky - and my friend who works for the Highway dept. says he likes starting the Husky better than Stihl), and I like the professional features (mag crank case), but I have never owned a Husqvarna, and I hear some are not made in Sweden any more (I would buy a Husqvarna from Sweden in a New York MINUTE or a Stihl from Germany likewise). These all seem to be around the same power (3.2-3.5 horse), and all seem to have good features like anti-vib, mag crank, etc.)

Do I need to upgrade for a project of this size, or will the MS-250 be enough? (By the way....if you have another model to suggest in the $300-550 range, and it's a product where I can get good service and good parts - the major problem with the Stihl - please feel free to let me know, but I'd like to stick to the models listed as close as possible - but then again y'all know better than I do.)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Unless you just "want" a bigger pro grade saw the MS250 will suffice IMO. If price is the determining factor 353 Husky would be my choice out of the ones you listed. However, the MS261 is outstanding. If it were me I'd look @ a Husky 550XP money should be close to MS261. The 550XP is BTTB.
Shep

MS250 will do the job, but there is better and we all like more power, right?

The 353 is an excellent pro quality saw, it's a 346xp with a bit less power. Get one if you can find one, but replace the cat muffler with a regular one asap. It was recently replace with the 545 which is an excellent saw also. 353/346xp and the 545/550xp are very hard to beat on the 50cc range!

Only the two cheapest Husqvarna models sold here are not made in Sweden.

Whoa. A 20-acre clearing job is big, I'd be looking for the fastest saw I could find to reduce the work load, regardless of cost, and would be checking out the Stihl and Husky dealers to see who provides the best service. Pick the dealer first, then the brand. In addition to new, consider a used pro 60-70cc saw; I've had excellent results from two MS440's w/20" bars that I picked up on Craig's List for $450 each. Keep the MS250 for limbing and freeing the occasional pinched bar. It should be easy to start; not impressed that the Stihl dealer can't figure that out. If you're still considering 50cc saws, go MS261 or 346xp.

I've cleared more than 20 acres with a old 346xp. My brother has thinned more than 20 acres (more like 80 acres) of pines with a old 353. These are two Very Good saws!

Down here, clearing 20ac may mean cutting several thousand trees in 90+° temps with humidities near 100%. I had to pack up a event style tent yesterday morning. The temperature was in the low 70's, but I was soaked in a few minutes bc of the humidity.

OP, I would look for a ported 346/353. A 261 is not a bad choice either, but it is not as light and doesn't feel as compact in the hands to most who have used both for extended periods.

Whoa. A 20-acre clearing job is big, I'd be looking for the fastest saw I could find to reduce the work load, regardless of cost, and would be checking out the Stihl and Husky dealers to see who provides the best service. Pick the dealer first, then the brand. In addition to new, consider a used pro 60-70cc saw; I've had excellent results from two MS440's w/20" bars that I picked up on Craig's List for $450 each. Keep the MS250 for limbing and freeing the occasional pinched bar. It should be easy to start; not impressed that the Stihl dealer can't figure that out. If you're still considering 50cc saws, go MS261 or 346xp.

see post 3:msp_rolleyes:

Except for branching and limbing forget the 250, that's a big job and that consumer grade Stihl won't hack it.You've already mentioned problems with parts and service and that much work will only high light those problems.Pick your dealer then pick your saw.Don't buy a used saw,doesn't sound like you are a chainsaw freak that likes working on them as much as using them.I'd go 60-70 cc's,reserve power is nice and it gets you out of the woods quicker.Your goal is to clear ground, the saw is just a tool to accomplish your goal, don't limit yourself.

He says an 18" bar will be sufficient so a 50cc saw is all he will need.

Give you a fer instance.The other day my buddy handed me his brand new 2156 and pointed to a UGLY Hard maple about 20","give it a try".Perfect sized saw for the job knocked it down no problem. But I wouldn't want to do it 30 or 40 more times with that saw.There is going to be bigger wood in that 20 acres than you think and it will slow you down with a smaller saw.50cc saws are for firewood not felling.

Give you a fer instance.The other day my buddy handed me his brand new 2156 and pointed to a UGLY Hard maple about 20","give it a try".Perfect sized saw for the job knocked it down no problem. But I wouldn't want to do it 30 or 40 more times with that saw.There is going to be bigger wood in that 20 acres than you think and it will slow you down with a smaller saw.50cc saws are for firewood not felling.

Please don't tell that to my old 346xp (45cc) that has fell well over a thousand trees.

I'm pretty sure I have a handle on what this person is facing. I live in SE GA, and most of the coastal plains area of the SE has a similar habitat. He is likely cutting a lot of 6-14" water, laurel, and post oak, along with similar sized loblolly and slash pine. I use a ported 50cc saw for just about everything and I could well get by with a stock 50cc. Would I run into trees that could be better handled with a larger saw? Yes, but the OP says an 18" bar has worked for him so there's no reason to pile on the weight of a larger so when it's not needed for the vast majority of what he us is likely to encounter. If he wants two saws, then by all means get a 50/70cc combo. But if someone has been using a 45cc HO saw and just wants to upgrade, and obviously concerned with size and weight, a 50cc pro saw is just the ticket, and a ported 50cc saw is a season ticket.

I'm pretty sure I have a handle on what this person is facing. I live in SE GA, and most of the coastal plains area of the SE has a similar habitat. He is likely cutting a lot of 6-14" water, laurel, and post oak, along with similar sized loblolly and slash pine. I use a ported 50cc saw for just about everything and I could well get by with a stock 50cc. Would I run into trees that could be better handled with a larger saw? Yes, but the OP says an 18" bar has worked for him so there's no reason to pile on the weight of a larger so when it's not needed for the vast majority of what he us is likely to encounter. If he wants two saws, then by all means get a 50/70cc combo. But if someone has been using a 45cc HO saw and just wants to upgrade, and obviously concerned with size and weight, a 50cc pro saw is just the ticket, and a ported 50cc saw is a season ticket.

I agree with you on this. The fact of the matter is he doesn't want to fight carrying around a 70cc saw to cut down what we call pecker poles. What's the need? He'll likely move faster with lighter equipment putting less stress on himself making his job easier.

To the OP there's a really well priced 2253 in the trading post. The seller is a great guy. It'd fit your needs if not maybe look into the 545. Dealer support is a must if you go the 545/550 route make sure the dealer has the auto tune diagnostic programming and is familiar with it.

Latest posts

Back