Stumbled on an Estate sale, which saws should I keep?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used chainsaws for nearly 15 years before I took a safety course that was required for a job I took for a land clearing company. My eyes were opened and I am glad I was able to be a part of it. Don't handle a saw the same since and I am better for it.

Yep, I had a very similar experience.

Yep, I had a very similar experience.

I don't have a safety course available so I do what I can do. I spoke to many locals (and continue) that have or continue to work in "the woods". I have access to many here in western WA. I also watch many safety oriented video's on youtube. That's where I learn a lot plus my own experience. I've got close to 40 years experience with my military background of understanding safety measures. But...I will not stop learning. There's always repetition in safety training and keeping at it. Stay safe everyone and keep sharing your thoughts.
Will

understood but honestly I don't mind taking risks but I stay alert in situations. Literally I can see myself using this saw in trees when hanging treestands and such where a pole such wont get to. I have done this in the past with much larger saws one handed so if im taking that risk already I guess it does not matter. This saw will never be used to cut anything larger in diameter than saw 4-5inches.

The only reason a 201T is intended for professional use is because Stihl designed it to be used by tree climbing professionals. It can be used on the ground, but there are more reasonable saws for that type of use.

It also is one of the weakest, most gutless saws I think I have ever seen. I have a pole saw that will out cut a 201T, hands down. That being said, the 201T would probably be your least favorite saw of the bunch in terms of power and ergonomics if you used them back to back.

But hey, it has Stihl wrote on the side of it, so it will be the better of the bunch according some folks around here, in spite of the fact you will probably never climb with it, which was what it was designed to do.

As far as small saws go, the Echo 370 would probably suit you better than the 201T. The CS370 has a common as dirt bar/chain combo compared to the 201T's 043 gauge set up, more power than the 201T, and is capable of taking on bigger limbs and small trees that you would be limited to with the 201T.

The only reason a 201T is intended for professional use is because Stihl designed it to be used by tree climbing professionals. It can be used on the ground, but there are more reasonable saws for that type of use.

It also is one of the weakest, most gutless saws I think I have ever seen. I have a pole saw that will out cut a 201T, hands down. That being said, the 201T would probably be your least favorite saw of the bunch in terms of power and ergonomics if you used them back to back.

But hey, it has Stihl wrote on the side of it, so it will be the better of the bunch according some folks around here, in spite of the fact you will probably never climb with it, which was what it was designed to do.

As far as small saws go, the Echo 370 would probably suit you better than the 201T. The CS370 has a common as dirt bar/chain combo compared to the 201T's 043 gauge set up, more power than the 201T, and is capable of taking on bigger limbs and small trees that you would be limited to with the 201T.
I don't know if the 201t I have had been modified but dang it can cut! So I'm not sure what you are saying about being gutless. I was just cutting some hardwoods yesterday 8in diameter tree and this thing tore right through it no problem much faster than any pole saw I've used...

I don't know if the 201t I have had been modified but dang it can cut! So I'm not sure what you are saying about being gutless. I was just cutting some hardwoods yesterday 8in diameter tree and this thing tore right through it no problem much faster than any pole saw I've used...

My bad, I just came from the shed, that was an MS192 I was using. Now that thing is gutless! MS201t? I haven't used one, but still a "climbing saw."

Right now I have 11 good running saws. Most are larger than 60cc. Anything smaller is not a saw. However I have a Stihl 011 and I love it because it is reliable and gutless. It does not do anything great except starts. As far as the 201 sounds like it is worth looking into. Some times when you just need some thing that is not exciting in a saw. Of course these small saws are essential when climbing or certain type of limbing work. If you use a saw most days then you will never have enough, but for amateur use then a couple of saws should do it. Thanks

EVERYONE....GOOD NEWS!!!

The chain brake on the 201T was simply gunked up. I cleaned it and it now works 100%. The choke lever on the Stihl 460 also works fine. turns out you need to be holding the gas/trigger lever in order to move the switch. So the only thing wrong with the 460 saw is the cracked chain brake handle which I ordered a new one. This means that ALL saws are in good operating order!
To set choke, squeeze throttle....Have you ever used a Stihl saw? They all work this way. You can go to Stihl site and download Owner's and Safety Manuals.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

To set choke, squeeze throttle....Have you ever used a Stihl saw? They all work this way. You can go to Stihl site and download Owner's and Safety Manuals.

Thanks. No I have not used a stihl before this. I have noticed the off position only works intermittently and I have had to put the choke to full choke in order to get the saw to stall and shut off

Thanks. No I have not used a stihl before this. I have noticed the off position only works intermittently and I have had to put the choke to full choke in order to get the saw to stall and shut off
Most likely kill wire out of place. Might have even happened when pushing to choke without pressing trigger. Either way, usually an easy fix.

Latest posts

Back