cutting up a pine hit by lightning in my pasture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you gotta work on your "sawsmanship" or you are going to get yourself hurt. either that or your saw is going to quit on you....the way your beating on the poor thing.

have fun though!

Good looking notch though.

i think i heard the camera man say that he cut it like that so that he wouldnt have to put the saw in the dirt.....i mean if anything he got lucky that it stayed on the stump if he did plan that cut out.

ok electro i'll throw you a bone or two.

next time you are cutting in that exact same scenario in regards to the way that wood was compressed is this.

bring some wedges. start your cut go like 1/2 way, stop ,add a wedge to the kerf with just enough force as to not get spit back out and continue the cut to about almost through.

go to the next cut and repeat.

do this until you get to an airborne part of the log and then make an undercut all the way through the log until it falls off the rest of the stem.

now what i would have done to that log is this.

i wouldve cut till i felt/see the wood trying to compress the kerf. then i wouldve moved to the next cut and done the same. on and on until i get to an airborne cut. at this point i cut from the bottom until the weight of the log cuts itself free from the stem. at that point i walk back to the partially cut long and give it a kick to roll it over and now its time to finish all the cuts with an undercut staying in the kerf you already made from before.

there you go bud. 2 ways to cut on that log just for your next saw adventure.

remember to look for the way a log is under pressure to determine your cut technique.

that 660 is far too good a saw to be having its ass kicked the way it is.

I watched about 3 minutes of it. I've decided you need to use your selection of chainsaws in a better way. Relieve the tension baby :givebeer:

Lectro,
Thanks for posting the video. I give ya credit for cutting in that hot Florida sun.

na don't abuse like that just....just that my huskys hold up better than my stihls do when it comes to moter mounts and bar adjustment screws. at least with the bigger saws. I have a 92 that has taken so much abuse (fallen from tree, o trees, fell out of truck,"little damage" forgotten in snowbank in my yard not found till spring. "well maybe left till spring", lost by falling off 4 Wheeler when making shooting lanes,"went back 2 weeks later and found it" Oya and that big piece of wood at thetop of the spar that I plocked off and it got cought in the cut, bent the bar into a pretzel, and didnt do me much Justice either..
I use both saws and like em both just had allot of problems with yanken bigger stihls out of pinches when I cut in the wood. just put ten in my 2 cents.
Cedarkerf I don't think I said I treat my saws that way, perhaps ya mis read the post!! it was short and to a point wasn't it, perhaps ya missed something?:cheers:

That's just why I don't lend out my saws!!! is it just me, or would you others guys just have got the tree on the ground first? One tree in a open field and he can't get it on the ground!!!

Last edited:
If I cut it I would have left it it up, If possable, then cut it from the bottom, unless cutting saw logs then i would plung cut into the wood to pervent fiber pulling and splitting. I would not of cut from the top with the pressure the way it was. just my 2 cents:givebeer:

Mike I don't want too bust your balls, but you really need to learn how to fall and buck a tree properly before you kill yourself, and your saws. You're very lucky the tree didn't slide back on to you when it barber chaired.

Here is a link to a book that will help you understand the physics of tree falling. When you understand what's going on, you will be able to work safer, more efficiently, and faster.http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17309&catID=47

Last edited:
To give the guy some credit, he said the tree was hit by lightning. So he atleast didn't cause the barber chair, but it is fishy that it hit a dead pine, in the middle of a pasture and the split pretty smooth and straight till the barber chair section.....

Yup, +1 on what Andy said about physics. You need to understand it to cut trees.

I think lectro has some gonads to post video of him cutting whether its right or wrong. I would be pretty embarrassed to show you guys my technique. I would have put it on the ground made cuts 3/4 way through then rolled over to finish cuts. :cheers:

Gee, I feel like I'm on trial here. All I wanted to do was post a video to show cutting speed of my 660. I didn't claim to be a professional saw operator. I worked for a logging company years ago but I was mainly a skidder operator. I ran a saw many days for many hours but I still don't claim to be any kind of expert. Sure, I broke a few rubber mounts and bent a couple of bars but I did the repair work and moved on and I never got hurt in 6 years so I guess the boss didn't mind buying a few rubber mounts as opposed to paying hospital bills.
That pine got hit by lightning and I cut it down to get it out of my pasture. It was leaning toward my pond and I didn't want to throw it in there so I pulled it backwards with a hand winch tied to the only tree in reach with my 100' of chain. I notched it to fall in the direction it fell. The notch is closed up with the tree weight sitting on it but if you look close you can see it here and here. I cut it far enough to make sure it was dedicated in the direction I wanted it to go (off my fence) and winched away. I was alone with nobody to pull the winch while I cut or vise versa. I'm glad it stayed attached to the stump. I hoped it would. That way I was able to saw the whole thing into small enough pieces to load into my truck without getting my saw chain in the dirt. I didn't care about pulling fiber or damaging the log in any way. I would have liked to sawed some fence boards out of it but it was too dry for that. I said so at the first of the video.
I'm sure there are several better ways to do it, but mine worked fine for me. I was nowhere near the trunk when it split so I still have my head intact and I know how to stay away from that log while it's hanging on the stump by a thread. If you listen to the audio, I also tell Teri to stay away from the stump.
Now to the few with positive input, . I will use your information to help me improve my skills and not get hurt in the future. Thank you for your comments!

Gee, I feel like I'm on trial here. All I wanted to do was post a video to show cutting speed of my 660. I didn't claim to be a professional saw operator. I worked for a logging company years ago but I was mainly a skidder operator. I ran a saw many days for many hours but I still don't claim to be any kind of expert. Sure, I broke a few rubber mounts and bent a couple of bars but I did the repair work and moved on and I never got hurt in 6 years so I guess the boss didn't mind buying a few rubber mounts as opposed to paying hospital bills.
That pine got hit by lightning and I cut it down to get it out of my pasture. It was leaning toward my pond and I didn't want to throw it in there so I pulled it backwards with a hand winch tied to the only tree in reach with my 100' of chain. I notched it to fall in the direction it fell. The notch is closed up with the tree weight sitting on it but if you look close you can see it here and here. I cut it far enough to make sure it was dedicated in the direction I wanted it to go (off my fence) and winched away. I was alone with nobody to pull the winch while I cut or vise versa. I'm glad it stayed attached to the stump. I hoped it would. That way I was able to saw the whole thing into small enough pieces to load into my truck without getting my saw chain in the dirt. I didn't care about pulling fiber or damaging the log in any way. I would have liked to sawed some fence boards out of it but it was too dry for that. I said so at the first of the video.
I'm sure there are several better ways to do it, but mine worked fine for me. I was nowhere near the trunk when it split so I still have my head intact and I know how to stay away from that log while it's hanging on the stump by a thread. If you listen to the audio, I also tell Teri to stay away from the stump.
Now to the few with positive input, . I will use your information to help me improve my skills and not get hurt in the future. Thank you for your comments!

Tough crowd. Just tuff it out your one of us. Critiquing just a sport on this site. Its a lot funner picking than being picked on.

Back