Cutting up free wood at my parents this past weekend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acer saccharum

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I had a good time cutting wood for my father this weekend. He can't use a saw because of the medication he got put on in January, but it didn't stop him from scrounging. He managed to get the logs from a red oak that a tree service company was taking down near his house. That was a good 30"+ at the butt end. Then another neighbor saw the pile and offered him the wood from the trees they were cutting down. That wound up being multiple loads of 4' logs delivered with a bucket loader. The 4' lengths were perfect, 2 cuts and you had three 16" pieces, no small oddball ends. That wood was ash, black birch and maple. I ran 8 tanks of gas and still didn't get it all cut up. I only made a few cuts off the big logs and there were plenty of 4 footers still lying around. He has so much other wood stacked up that this wood is going to be burned into the latter part of the '09-'10 and possibly last into '11.

My father just bought a pulp hook, I had never used one before. It worked quite well on the 4' lengths. Very nice being able to hook a piece off the pile and stay clear of the other pieces that want to crush your hand.
attachment.php

Rolling and cutting one of the big red oak logs

attachment.php

:chainsaw:
attachment.php

My daughter out surveying the aftermath.

attachment.php

And sizing up the logs

attachment.php

Back