Cutting wood with the neighbor yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
He was cutting severly crooked and decided to change out the chain with a new one. It was too long for his 20' bar. I counted the drivers -- 80 drivers. My 20' bar takes 72 drivers and my 24' bar takes 84 drivers. 80? He gave me the chain even though I volunteered to cut the chain and make it right for his saw and bar. How did he get an 80 driver chain? Never have I come across such an odd length chain, and an Oregon chisel standard sequence chain. Oh Well!

I dont think a 80 dl .325 chain would be long enough to fit on a 20 inch 3/8 bar, the .325 bars are thinner with smaller tips, it should be too short.

There's likely an odd ball 22 inch 3/8 bar for some saw.

22 inch is usually 76 DL count in 3/8- 4 more DL's is a bit of a leap- unless there is a 23 inch bar out there somewhere that this chain loop was sitting waiting for lonely on a shelf until someones neighbour showed up and said "that'll do!"

More to my point though- someone goes in and orders a 3/8 loop for a 20 inch bar- somewhere between counter and workshop something gets lost in translation and the loop maker looked up the spec for 20 inch .325, but made that many DL in 3/8- by mistake- like I said above- someone goofed.

I'm not looking at the chain right now, but yesterday it was most definitely a 3/8 chain. Neighbors an old guy with a lot more on his mind then drivers and chain pitches. I'm now guessing he ordered and got this all backasswards.

I'm not looking at the chain right now, but yesterday it was most definitely a 3/8 chain. Neighbors an old guy with a lot more on his mind then drivers and chain pitches. I'm now guessing he ordered and got this all backasswards.
What saw was he using?

Back