Cylinder plating

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewUth

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Reaction score
I'm just curious- has anyone sent a cylinder for re-plating? On motorcycles, I regularly send jugs out for fresh Nikasil; I use a company in PA called PowerSeal. Its around $180 for a 250cc cylinder (around 68mm), I'd be willing to bet it would be a bit less costly for a tiny saw cylinder. Thoughts? They are also pretty good at repairing damaged cylinders- welding gouges, boring/honing and then re-plating.

I run Poulans and parts are relatively cheap, but for older saws or ones with expensive top ends, maybe it is a viable option? Send them your tired cylinder with a fresh piston and rings, and they match them. Heck, I bet if you had a saw that had a tired top end but parts were NLA that they could hone/plate the cylinder to fit the old piston if you were willing to pay them to.

Millennium I think is the name of another one that does them as well. Those little cylinders with blind holes are harder for them to do than a cylinder with a removable head.

it is more difficult to hone to size a cylinder with a "blind" end to the bore. Meaning the head is part of the cylinder casting so when you size the cylinder ya can't "over stroke" the honeing fixture to keep it accurate....hard to describe unless you have tried to size a bore without being able to use the complete length on the hone...I think a lot of the plating shops will not do them for that reason and also because the bore tends to be so small....

Latest posts

Back