Cylinder Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on what is wrong with it and if you are doing the work or paying a shop to do the work. A seal kit for the tie rod cylinder on my father in laws splitter was about $50 and only took a couple of hours to swap out. If any of the hard parts like the barrel, piston, or rod need replaced then the price is going to jump. I could easily see a shop rate being $100/hr.

Don't know about a 4inch, but just got a 6inch 24inch stroke resealed for a dump truck, was $275.00 and some change. This did include them welding on new tubes to both ends. I could have done it but just not worth my time since they had it apart anyway.
If you're going diy seal kits are cheap, the problem is if you can get the cylinder apart with the tools you have in hand.

Thanks guys, I can pull in apart myself but have no idea what it came off. The piston is good, the leak is at the nose. O ring or seal, I have no idea.

Thanks guys, I can pull in apart myself but have no idea what it came off. The piston is good, the leak is at the nose. O ring or seal, I have no idea.
Most cylinders use the same seals and o-rings. I was able to take the piston and old seals to my local shop and they figured out what I needed. I have no idea what brand the cylinder is that I worked on.

Latest posts

Back