Da Prince - 5th Quarter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside53 said:
Manf. do have are resources... Just because a few individuals can mod a saw and get way with it doesn't mean a manufacturing run over many years can do the same. Reliability is compromised, but few run their saws long enough to find out. Stihl had crankshaft problems with the early 066's because they just scaled an 064 up in power... and made several changes during production, but many users never had any issues with the original units. But if you were one that did, you weren't happy..

Power is always a compromise between size, weight, cost, longevity and not, and the current emissions standards. The same applies with the auto and bike and aircraft and .... manufacturers.

Mods are great but if you make your living with a saw longevity and dependability rule.

manual said:
Man this way to early to start a discussing on modded saws,
So A saw that runs faster yet cooler will not last as long as a stock saw.

Who said it will run cooler? If you mod a muffler and run the saw stock at the same power, then yes the saw will run cooler, slightly.

If you INCREASE the power, then very quickly the increased heat generated will erode any small margin gained from the muffler... Engines are not 100% efficient, and the more power developed means more has to be dissipated though the cylinder fins etc. Cooling of the saw is primarily from the flywheel fan, and most don't have any great excess capacity. Thermal limits are a problem overlooked in the quest for intermittent power, and bite you when you do that long tough set of cuts or milling or..

And there are other issues, such as bearing lubrication, component strength, flexation.. and zillions more.. Yes, it is too early in the day for this!

It's in the "Triva Forum" but broken.. only the first 1200 or so posts are there... but the system thinks it has 5010..

talon1189 said:
Daaayuum........I already miss the thread. I had alot of fun there :hmm3grin2orange: Now it is back to the REAL world.......Dammit :biggrinbounce2: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon
:jawdrop: Sad, sad story, the end of the Da Prince tread, and Tom....

:cry: :cry: :cry: :censored:

boboak said:
Mods are great but if you make your living with a saw longevity and dependability rule.

I know I'll probably get flamed on this, but what the heck:

My opinion on muffler modding is that to some degree the increase in power is an illusion. Yes power does go up especially at high revs, but the increase sound level itself makes humans (especially guys) believe the motor is making more power. Common for kids to replace highly tuned exhaust systems on stock high performance street bikes with noisier ones and and swear they get more power. But usually the dyno and the quarter mile times don't prove that out.

So I argue that in in bigger wood when the saw is working fairly hard (which is what I am usually dealing with) simply opening up the muffler doesn't buy as much increase in performance (course depends on how restricted the stock muffler was, I do believe some are worse than others) as the increased sound level and fuel consumption might indicate. A little better performance, but not the 35% some people estimate. Again I am not talking small wood here where it is all about rpm.

The times I have run along/against other comparible saws that have muffler mods only, my sharper chains has had me cutting slightly faster in big wood. (And I've also run along more fully modded saws that ate me up.) Anyone got a muffler modded 7900 in the greater Seatle area? I haven't had a chance to run my stock 7900 against one of those to do a comparison. I'd be interested on the honest comparison.

This is only my opinion and admittedly is considered blasphemy on AS. And since I might be the only person that thinks this way on AS I could be mistaken. And I fear having admitted I feel this way might mean no more invitations to AS birthday parties...

Last edited:
talon1189 said:
We could actually send Wagonwheelers dog in there....LOL! He seems quite familar with toilets:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

I have to admit that even Buck has his limits...sure he will roll around in cow patties and eat horse apples on occasion :cheers: ... he'll take on rattlers, possums and raccoons and will meet trucks and tractors head-to-head out on the dirt road in front of the house:chainsaw: ...he catches shotgun shells mid-air as they eject from my 1100 and pulls burning sticks out of our fire pit - then chews them to bits without so much as a whimper:angry2: ...

But to enter da Shepards thinking chamber???

NEVER!!!

Ya' gonna have to find a FOOL dog to do that kinda work! :stupid:

It may be possible, however, for Buck to contact him thru the 'system'... :ices_rofl:

Chaser

boboak said:

It would seem that manufacturers have to play it pretty safe for warranty purposes regarding reliability vs. power. The greatest deterrent to productivity is probably NOT the power/weight of a saw measured to the second decimal place.

Someone who will pay $250 for a mod to thier saw will most likely take pretty good care of it and won't let just anyone run it. But MANY outfits know that thier workers are gonna beat the heck outta the 'chinery and the manufacturers are probably keen to this being the majority condition. A broken saw is a production killer.

A piece of equipment cannot be brought to it's max output under lab/shop conditions and be expected to last equally under field conditions.

Now a sole muffler mod is probably a different animal. If it can cool a stock setup and flow better it probably WILL benefit the saw in the long run even with user neglect.

Modded saws in the hands of guys w/ nothing invested is probably a loser for the owner and the manufacturer (by reputation)...

Chaser

Back