Damaged Apple Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becki

Reaction score
I had a drunk driver wreck into my small apple orchard. One apple tree was completely uprooted. His insurance is willing to pay for the tree, but I must get an estimate on replacing the tree. My problem is that my tree was 10+ years old and was full of fruit, all the local stores can do for me is replace it with a 5' tree. I would like to get a more mature tree! Anyone have any idea of what a mature apple tree is worth, or where I can go to get an estimate/replacement? I'm in Ohio. Thanks for all your help.

I would think that you get get the price of the 5' foot tree plus the value of the apples from the loss/reduction of production for a few years. This is a very sticky issue.

I had the misfortune of being on the driver side of this issue in Germany. Their law is different. There you are responsible not for the price of the replacement tree, but for the value of the apples over the rest of that tree's life span.

Good Luck!!

A consulting arborist (or an above average real estate appraiser) can give you a value for the original tree. The Ins. company may balk but you are entitled to compensation comensurate with the lost tree's actual value -which is based upon contribution to the property value, potential fruit value, esthetics, etc. Replacement of mature trees is seldom practical which means that even after a new tree is planted you will still have a loss.-Get paid for it! (Technically a 10 yr old apple tree is not "mature" but is of bearing age and had a LOT of potential years left.)

Would you be able to buy a similarly sized tree from another orchard and have it transplanted to your orchard? I am sure that would take a good amount of money, but it is something to think about.

the way I've seen it done is cost of cure and loss of future production.

First you need to define the type value the tree is to you. in this case it seems to be apple production.

A. how many bushels of yeild per year
B. sustainable useful life expectancy of the tree
C. Number of years it takes for replacement to mature into a producing tree.

one way to shorten C is to use the cost of cure to install more then one replacement, that way you have the lower yeaild small trees making up for the single large tree.

Find a consulting arborist here.

BTW that was one of your best trees, giving the highest yeild wasn't it?

Hi Becki, want some advice from a caring scotsman? Ok buy another apple tree and plant it behind a wall, then you shouldnt have too many more problems with these drunk drivers....I do not need your credit card information for this free advice...Jock

Latest posts

Back