damaged hoist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeJunkie

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A couple of days ago while attemping to dump a full load of chips mixed w/ stump grinding debris we had a major foul up. As you'll see in the pictures some serious damage to the scissor hoist has occured. From my intitial look it appears that the hydraoulic piston is undamaged.

Has anyone had this type of thing happen before? I'm not really sure if this is repairable yet. I know it could be very costly if i have to replace the entire hoist. Called around to a few places and took it to one metal fab shop who installs hoist. Knapheide was the cheapest thing i've found so far... They want 1300.00 for the piston and scissor, not including install...
which i'll do myself any how. But still that seems pretty high. I'd like to be able to reuse the existing piston but i don't know if that will be possible yet. Tommorrow i'm planning on hoisting the bed and removing the hoist, maybe then i'll have a better clue...

Anyone have any suggestions????

TreeJunkie,,,can't say about the damage but what is the red box on your 252 V grinder? Something you added?

Do

The little red thing on the grinder is for installing on the grinder while in transport. I think it sopposed to eliminate stress/swing in the grinder head while transporting....Who know's i never use it. Just havent' gotten around to throwing it away yet..

Looks to me that the metal was not thick enough. Any good welding shop could put some heavier material in.

I can't see why you couldn't rebuild what is there with the old lift cylinder. I am a fabricator and welder by trade, logging is just a stepping stone between welding. I would believe that a good fab. shop could make use of the lift the is there, it doesn't look like the cylinder shaft is bent and I don't see oil leaking.
mike

Brandon, It also looks like a straightforward cut and weld repair to me as well. What happened? It looks like maybe someone was dumping while driving on a side hill and some sideways torque got added.

Looks like it was nose heavy, and folded when lifting to dump.
I would think you could rebuild it with no problems. Get it unloaded
and brace it up. Get the torch out and heat and bend everything
back straight, then beef it up with some stronger steal.
Thats if you are handy with a welder and torch. At any rate i don't
see any reason it can't be rebuilt.

Red,

I tried calling him on friday but have not heard back yet. I guess 'll take the hoist off tommorrow and take it to the fab shop and see what they can do...

B,

Before I spent the money on a replacement hoist I would go talk to a metal fabricator or well known welder to see if what you have is fixable prior to replacement. I would get that the bent piece could be cut out made new and welded in for a lot less than 1300

-I Agree that it should cost a lot less-I suspect that I could get that all repaired for under $300-assuming that the cylinder and ram are undamaged as they appear to be.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: Will do I'll stop by a shop in the a.m. and have them take a look....I just worry about raising it up. wouldn't be a good thing if it broke loose while trying to raise.....

Let the welding dude decide if he can raise it with the bent hoist or if he needs an external hoist to lift the bed.

(insert all the typical safety warnings here)

It may be a common brand hoist and there may be lots kicking around at truck wreckers. You might pick one up used, with or without cylinder for 3 or 4 hundred. I doubt you will get it repaired for even double that unless it is at a backyard shop. The main buckled members are stampings, not standard width angle etc. very difficult to straighten two attached members at once. I would guess a minimum of 8 hours labour. Let us know what you find out.

Latest posts

Back